A week after surgery, my story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather - At the rehab facility, ask if they have a locker room or showers you can use. I typically sweat when working out, and rehab was no exception. The facility did have smell locker rooms for men and women, including a single shower stall. Not many used it, but it was a necessity for me. I ended each session so soaked that I wouldn't have gotten into my car without that shower!

Hey guys, just wanted to update.. Today I'm 8 weeks past op, and my INR has been below range for 5 weeks. Last week I pushed back with the nurse about my dosage because I'm clearly not taking enough and finally she upped it more than her usual 2mg/wk. That whole thing is annoying and I'll be glad when I'm monitoring it myself. Also, just last week I started becoming short of breath. At cardiac rehab they noticed my hr and BP didn't want to come down and I told them about my Sob, so they called my doctor. A nurse called me back but I was heading out of town and missed the call. I absolutely dread calling and telling the nurses my symptoms. Anyway I have an echo scheduled for July 17th,and will meet with my new cardio that same day. Anyone else experience shortness of breath suddenly 7 weeks after surgery?

powerworx;n878330 said:
I've really enjoyed your post. How was your echo? Any reason for the shortness of breath?

The echo showed that my mitral valve is still narrowed and regurgitation is moderate (grade 2 or 2+ they call it). My doctor said he would feel much more comfortable if I were at grade 1, of course so would I! The shortness of breath seems to happen kind of randomly and my doc said it can be related to fluid retention and that he would prescribe a diuretic if I needed it. So far I haven't called them because I never get very lucky with the nurses taking me seriously, they always make me feel crazy. I do feel like I'm retaining water though, I had a few Bumetanide pills left from after surgery and I took one one day and peed like crazy and woke up 3lbs lighter! It stayed off for a few days then climbed back up. I can also indent my legs and it stays for several minutes. Anyway, no word on what the plan of attack is, he said he'd like to see me in 6 months instead of a year since I've been short of breath off and on.

I woke up this morning thinking I had drooled a lot, but when I wiped my chin it was blood. The pillow was all bloody, it was all over my chin and neck and I had to keep spitting it out. It eventually stopped for like 20 minutes, then it happened again. When I rinsed it I could tell it was coming from between two teeth but there was no pain or swelling. It just happened again randomly...and of course it would happen on a Saturday. Anyone had this happen? I haven't had my INR checked in almost 3 weeks, scheduled to be checked this Wed. I'm more worried about bacteria than bleeding... Has anyone else experienced this?
IMG_20170902_074638.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

no I haven't had this ... but
dreamy885;n878689 said:
...When I rinsed it I could tell it was coming from between two teeth but there was no pain or swelling. It just happened again randomly...and of course it would happen on a Saturday.

how is your "gum health" normally ... such "bleeding through the gums indicates gingivitis to me ... are you a good and regular flosser?

I would say that there is minimal risk from bacteria at the moment, but assuming that its gingivitis (caused in the main by plaque build up) there will be a benefit to antibiotic cover when you get your teeth cleaned. I'd say after a visit to the dentist you'll clear this up.

Been eating much vitamin C?

I'd also get your INR checked too, it may be high (a probability given what we see here) ... 3 weeks ... oh well, you know my normal song.

PS: BTW congratulations, you've just had one of those "bleed events" people talk about

pellicle;n878691 said:
Hi

no I haven't had this ... but

how is your "gum health" normally ... such "bleeding through the gums indicates gingivitis to me ... are you a good and regular flosser?

I would say that there is minimal risk from bacteria at the moment, but assuming that its gingivitis (caused in the main by plaque build up) there will be a benefit to antibiotic cover when you get your teeth cleaned. I'd say after a visit to the dentist you'll clear this up.

Been eating much vitamin C?

I'd also get your INR checked too, it may be high (a probability given what we see here) ... 3 weeks ... oh well, you know my normal song.

PS: BTW congratulations, you've just had one of those "bleed events" people talk about

I think I figured out the culprit...I made these banana oatmeal bars that had cinnamon in them, I ate some before bed and bled early this morning. Then I didn't bleed all day at work. Came home, had a tiny piece, and started bleeding shortly after that again. Than later tonight I went to eat some more and immediately started bleeding and it wouldn't stop for over an hour, I had to use gauze. These are soft bars, but I think the cinnamon may have interfered with my INR. Super unfortunate that I haven't gotten around to buying a home tester yet. I called my heart clinic, a random doctor called me back and instructed me to hold my warfarin tonight, tomorrow and Monday!! Seems excessive when we don't know my INR...and I can't think of another way to have it tested on a Sunday other than the ER. I don't feel comfortable holding it that long :/ Especially because Sunday and Monday are my higher dose days. I don't know what to do.

Hi

dreamy885;n878692 said:
I think I figured out the culprit... but I think the cinnamon may have interfered with my INR.

myself I wouldn't put my money on that ... because a) you'd need a LOT of cinnamon b) the effect would last longer. Either way regular testing would have shown it up.

I don't know what to do.

just stay tight and don't do anything overly exertive or risky (like climb ladders) and arrange an INR test soon (to resolve that issue).

I'd also look into a dental inspection too.

I think you'll be ok :)

Best Wishes

pellicle;n878693 said:
Hi

just stay tight and don't do anything overly exertive or risky (like climb ladders) and arrange an INR test soon (to resolve that issue).

I'd also look into a dental inspection too.

I think you'll be ok :)

Best Wishes

But what about holding my warfarin for 3 days? My INR test is scheduled for Wed.

dreamy885;n878694 said:
But what about holding my warfarin for 3 days? My INR test is scheduled for Wed.

without knowing what your INR actually is I would not do such, and 3 days without warfarin is VERY unadvisable.

I just realised that I eat cinnamon quite a bit on occasions and have been having a bit on my porridge oats in the mornings. I sprinkle it on more than many do and I've never seen any indication of cinnamon having any influence on INR.

To my mind without knowing what your INR is taking any action is inadvisable. Surely you can get to a hospital who can do an INR test for you (even on a weekend)?

Either way, unless you start seeing blood in your urine the INR is probably not high enough to be worthy of taking action.

Read this post by skigirl (who is also a well educated medical professional) as guidance for "being calm" on this
(her INR was 9 and she didn't rupture into blood)

http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...-python-moment

I googled cinnamon vs warfarin and found that there can be a possible interaction. Like Pellicle, I have eaten cinnamon as a flavoring to cookies, cereal, etc for years without any problems, but apparently it can happen. I agree with Pellicle that I would not hold my warfarin dose for three days without knowing what my current INR is.......even if it meant going to an ER for the INR test.

Ditto on what Pel said, without an INR test confirming its high theres no way in the world I'd adjust or certainly miss a dose,

I think it's irresponsible (and scary)at the least of a doctor to suggest this without any test to go by..

Could be coincidence with the bleeding and what you have eaten and your INR is 2.2 who knows.. then what would it be in 3 days with no warfarin.. not good,

I wouldn't panic at all on your INR , I've been up to 7.7 and never had any bleeding, was a medicine contradiction not food related :)

Can you test on Monday?

Warrick;n878697 said:
Ditto on what Pel said, without an INR test confirming its high theres no way in the world I'd adjust or certainly miss a dose,

I think it's irresponsible (and scary)at the least of a doctor to suggest this without any test to go by..

Could be coincidence with the bleeding and what you have eaten and your INR is 2.2 who knows.. then what would it be in 3 days with no warfarin.. not good,

I wouldn't panic at all on your INR , I've been up to 7.7 and never had any bleeding, was a medicine contradiction not food related :)

Can you test on Monday?

I agree about it being irresponsible for the doctor to advise that! Especially because he doesn't know my INR and he doesn't know my history. Anyway, I'm writing this from the ER, bleeding started again and wouldn't slow after an hour, lasted two hours this time. Blood was just sent to the lab, I'll update when I know more.

dreamy885;n878698 said:
I agree about it being irresponsible for the doctor to advise that! Especially because he doesn't know my INR and he doesn't know my history. Anyway, I'm writing this from the ER, bleeding started again and wouldn't slow after an hour, lasted two hours this time. Blood was just sent to the lab, I'll update when I know more.

Jeepers thats no good, at least you will know your INR shortly, I found this for you

http://inrtracker.com/nutrients/vitamin-k-in-spices-cinnamon-ground

If the only thing you ate today were cinnamon (ground, spices). You would have to eat 37.04 tbsps in order to get your 100% recommended daily value of 90mcg of Vitamin K.

Similarly, in order to get 50% (45mcg) of your daily recommended value of Vitamin K. You would have to eat 18.52 tbsps of cinnamon (ground, spices).

Additionally, you would have to eat 9.26 tbsps of cinnamon (ground, spices) to get 25% (22.5mcg) of your recommended daily Vitamin K.

But then I just found this also, it seems it may not be the vit K in cinanmon but the coumarin, food for thought :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/524042-can-you-take-cinnamon-with-a-blood-thinner/

Although it is a widely used spice, you may need to moderate your consumption if you are taking a blood thinner. The coumarin in the spice could increase your risk of bleeding. Talk with your doctor or nutritionist if you are taking an anti-coagulant to determine how much, if any, cinnamon you should have.

Latest posts

Back