A twist on anger

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

A day or so ago, this was the daily quote on the systems at work:

In any controversy, the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for truth and have begun striving for ourselves.

I already know life is short, and I TRY to live like I know that, but sometimes things get in the way. This quote struck me as another way to "step back"...not that I'm able to always do that....

Thoughts?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

well, Cort, if we don't strive for ourselves, who's gonna? All of us sometimes have a situation that is like a bomb bursting suddenly - called instant anger. If we don't go completely crazy, it's probably no big deal. Just watch what names the offender is called because we can never unsay anything. Once said, it's said and the chips sometimes are very heavy ones.

I am very mild and don't often get angry anymore. Finally learned it's usually about something that is really nothing at all.

Unfortunately, there are certainly situations in which anger is the only thing that works. I can think of several times in advocating for Joe that being nice and "requesting" something with please and thank you gets you absolutely nowhere. but exploding and letting that person have it may just get the desired result, and may assure you that you will never have to deal with that idiotic person again.

There really are things that require a strong stand or others will run over you like they were driving a tank, and think nothing of their actions. They are so used to bullying others, have probably done it most of their lives.

With that kind of person the only way to get their attention is to meet them head-on.

And the other thing that helps is to have a plan (possibly legal) if they do not acquiesce.

Boy, Nancy, I agree with you! I am very tolerant, will put up with a lot, but I've found that people will keep pushing and pushing, not realizing they've gone too far. It's then that anger is really the only way to get your point across. Hopefully, you haven't let the situation get so out of your control that you blow up and make things worse than they alreadyj are.

Controlled anger can be a very positive thing. It's the loss of control that creates issues. Anger is human and causes us to think of ways to deal with the situation that originally created the problem.

hensylee said:
If we don't go completely crazy, it's probably no big deal.

*nods*

Oh my yes.

geebee said:
Anger is human and causes us to think of ways to deal with the situation that originally created the problem.

IMHO, that's an excellent way to put it, Gina. If I'm understanding Nancy's post correctly, your note here, Gina, is summing up that perfectly. And, I agree.

Heh ... I wasn't sure what to think of the quote when I first read it ... then kinda liked it ... then kinda didn't. So, thought I'd "put it out there" and see what others thought ;). Certainly is an interesting conversation piece, I think, anyway....

"I will not make the same mistakes" ... Kelly Clarkson ... 'Because Of You'

Cort,
There was a popular book out several years ago that talked about 4 rules...I can't remember the name of it or even the author at the moment. One of the things he talked about was letting someone else's emotions take away from your spirit. Basically, if someone does something that makes me spend my time in negative thoughts and emotions, I'm letting that person take something away from me. Although it doesn't always work, when someone says or does something that starts to get me upset, I try to think about that before I spend too much time getting worked up.

And of course there are times when controlled anger IS the only thing that gets across how serious you are about an issue.......... the goal is for those times to be the exception. :)

MaryC said:
One of the things he talked about was letting someone else's emotions take away from your spirit. Basically, if someone does something that makes me spend my time in negative thoughts and emotions, I'm letting that person take something away from me.

*nods*

And I agree....

But, sometimes, it is very hard to "control" that ... and NOT let something get to you.....

"Why can't that be me?" ... 3 Doors Down ... 'If I Could Be Like That'

Latest posts

Back