A stitch has "worked its way out"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Ticky

The bottom of my incision had become a little inflamed two days ago. Some pus came out during my shower yesterday and it started to scab over a little. Today in the shower a white string popped out. Should I do anything? Are these stitches supposed to dissolve over time? Has anyone had this happen?

I think you should call the surgeon and let them decide what to do. Joe had a very minor incision infection, really tiny, but they brought him in and took care of it.

I was glad because you don't want anything to get a foothold in the incision area. Nothing good can come of that.

Definitely a visit to the surgeon is indicated. I had a massive scar infection and you do not want that to happen.

Thanks ladies! I just spoke with the heart surgeon on call and she said to wash it with soap & water every day and clean it with hydrogen peroxide a few times a day. I may just pop in the doctor's office tomorrow since I'll be there to check my INR anyway.

If you start getting yellow gunk coming out of it, it's infected. I think you'd be well advised to see your doc as you say.

the surgeon took pieces of saphenous vein out of my leg to use for bypasses. In one of those incisions, after the staples came out, I got an infection and had to make two trips to my dr so he could get those stitches out. After the second trip all was ok. I don't recall that he gave me an antibiotic.

Hey Ticky,
Good timing....get the inr check and the stitch looked at tomorrow. Hope all goes well. I had a stictch poke through but my cardio had a wait and see approach. I waited and saw that he was right. :rolleyes: I scraped the stitch away last week (sorry...gross) withouth any repercussions. Debbi

Justin has a problem w/ disolving stitches not disolving, and for the most part some work their way out w/out problems, but like ross said if you see yellow or even if there is something that looks like a pimple get it checked, a few of Justin's that had a problem looked like a pimple or ingrown hair,

Back