A short video of a talk I gave on how to (literally) open your heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerousmotto

Hi all -

I thought I'd share with you a talk I recently gave about my experience with having an aortic aneurysm repaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdxYFPfsBRQ

The talk is part of an Ignite Boulder Event. Each speaker has 5 minutes to tell a story using 20 slides that automatically advance. It was both exhilarating and terrifying to stand up and talk about this process.

For some backstory, I'm 32 years old with a bicuspid aortic valve. Earlier in the summer I discovered that my ascending aorta had expanded to 5.2 cm in diameter. My surgery was performed with a full median sternotomy on Sept 4th, 2015 in Boulder Colorado by Dr. Bryan Mahan. On Dec 11th 2015 my wires and zip ties were removed as they were causing a lot of pain and were visible through my skin. This talk was actually given the night before that second surgery. I hope you enjoy, and please reach out if you have any questions.

Absolutely brilliant - moving, uplifting, funny, charming. Congratulations - should be required viewing for all patients. Thank you so much

Bit confused here Dangerousmotto - are you Dr Jordan Winkler ? That was the only talk I got to by following those links. I mostly agree, but I have to say that when woke up in ICU I wasn't in pain, I felt really well, and my memory was fine, certainly wouldn't have wanted or needed those slurpie drinks - I had a cup of tea: hey I'm a Brit and cups of tea are the best things in the world after surgery or any other trauma ! Later, while still in ICU, I had some scrambled eggs. However, really spot on about pain later though ! Once I was moved out of ICU the pain meds I was given were useless, but they didn't give me different ones :( And the pain and sleeping difficulties back at home - spot on again ! I think that talk would be good for relatives and friends of patients. I suspect it would scare pre-op bicuspid aortic valvers, but post-op ones would appreciate it a lot :)

Paleogirl;n861166 said:
Bit confused here Dangerousmotto - are you Dr Jordan Winkler ? That was the only talk I got to by following those links. I mostly agree, but I have to say that when woke up in ICU I wasn't in pain, I felt really well, and my memory was fine, certainly wouldn't have wanted or needed those slurpie drinks - I had a cup of tea: hey I'm a Brit and cups of tea are the best things in the world after surgery or any other trauma ! Later, while still in ICU, I had some scrambled eggs. However, really spot on about pain later though ! Once I was moved out of ICU the pain meds I was given were useless, but they didn't give me different ones :( And the pain and sleeping difficulties back at home - spot on again ! I think that talk would be good for relatives and friends of patients. I suspect it would scare pre-op bicuspid aortic valvers, but post-op ones would appreciate it a lot :)

Yep that's me! Its always incredible the differences people have with their experiences on these procedures. One interesting things the Dr warned me about a lot was that younger men tend to have a much harder time with the pain than any other demographic of patients. Part of this is the fact that at a younger age the nerve endings in your chest are far more active and healthy, and so the pain response is stronger. As far as eating - I couldn't eat for nearly 10 days after surgery, it was pretty awful.

Ha - I should have added that although I ate scrambled eggs with relish in ICU that was probably my last meal for a long time. Once out of ICU and on obviously different pain meds which didn't work for me, I simply couldn't eat, I had absolutely no desire, my gut stopped working, and the most I could manage was something like half a glass of milk per meal. I was so disappointed as I was looking forward to the meals at the hospital I was at as it had good catering. I was already on the cusp of underweight when I went into hospital and two weeks later I was way underweight and dangerously so. Had to be referred to a gastrodoc who did tests and said the combination of surgery, anaesthesia and pain is what did it.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Having had my chest cracked open twice, I fully appreciate every word you expressed.
Great presentation. Be Well.

Thank you for sharing, dangerous motto.
Very witty, along with a good LOL, while at the same time I could relate to it all.
I always share that although I had to " join a bicuspid club" I would never have freely signed up for, I ended up meeting some wonderful kindred spirits in this club and have had experiences that truly enriched my life because I do belong to this club.
My very best wishes to you,

My AVR is happening on January 11th. I'm not as young as you. I turn an ancient 39 three days post op. I found the video motivating. While you talk about pain and lack of apppetite, you find humor in it, and it's made you stronger. I loved it. Thanks.

Dodger Fan;n861249 said:
My AVR is happening on January 11th. I'm not as young as you. I turn an ancient 39 three days post op. I found the video motivating. While you talk about pain and lack of apppetite, you find humor in it, and it's made you stronger. I loved it. Thanks.

Best of luck - you'll hit 40 and will be crushing life, with more perspective, motivation, and strength than you've ever had.

Latest posts

Back