A setback: redo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

glad to hear you're up and posting. That's a good sign.

Okay, the details: It was certainly an infection

, and allot of people, including doctors are referring to my high activity level (which i do not blame them

well myself I think that your exersize is a red herring. People who are not active often slang off and people who are very active can call them all manner of things (in gentle but clear ways).

I'm often told I'm a 'temporary Australian' for my activities (like rockclimbing / motorcycling / hikes).

Personally I don't see how that caused an infection ... dental cleanings are more likely for that.

Did they identify the bacteria?

at all), The fact is that there was an infection on the valve which ate away at several stitches. My

The surgeons requested to use the St. Jude's valve only because they knew the procedure was already going to be tricky and the On-x valve apparently is a little more difficult to implant.

interesting note.

The PICC line that is in my arm that I have to use to deliver tons of antibiotics into my body, for 6 weeks. I just gave myself my first dose. Not too hard, but that's 5 hours of medication per day.

I guess vancomycin ...

Luckily I'm completely mobile with it, and the delivery 'devices' fit in a sweater pocket, so you

mine was much bigger ... about the size of a womans purse or small handbag.

what brand?

Wow! You're going to end up even tougher than you were before! Keep up the positivity and keep moving forward. Were all rooting for you, Anthony!

Have you found a bracket to mount the device on bicycle handlebars yet? Somehow I get the feeling that your mind wants to go there. . .

I would suggest taking a bit of a breather to give the meds a chance to do their job - then you can hit it as hard as you feel you can once you're sure things are stable again. Take is a bit slow for a while, then you can begin all your activities once things heal well. We will, of course, be anxiously awaiting the stories of your future victories.

The job at hand, for now, is healing. Once you've done that, the rest will just flow behind it.

Hi

glad to hear you're up and posting. That's a good sign.

"and allot of people, including doctors are referring to my high activity level (which i do not blame them"

well myself I think that your exersize is a red herring. People who are not active often slang off and people who are very active can call them all manner of things (in gentle but clear ways).

Yes the Exercise wouldnt cause the infection, however it is very possible to cause problems in the sternum healing or where other sutures are by doing too much (raising the pressure in the heart and healing arteries) or lifting more than the recommendations especially during the first 6 weeks, when everything is trying to heal and build the scar tissue. Luckily it is rare, like all other complications post op are rare, but they happen. That is one of the reason they give the strict restriction on lifting and heart rate.

Its hard to find any info on it now But Arnold Schwarzenegger Had to have his Aortic Valve replaced shortly after his Ross, because he exercised too much in the first weeks, and ripped it out. I think on the stationary bike, but dont remember exactly.

Anthony, I'm very glad they caught the infectio before it got any worse. I hope you continue to feel better. Are you home yet?

I know exactly how you feel too! I had to have my 2nd OHS, six months after my first due to the sutures coming undone around my mitral valve. I didn't do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity post surgery but I did go through a very depressing and traumatic experience right after my 1st surgery which my surgeon thought may have led to the re-op.

Who knows? Things happen and I lived to talk about it.

Wishing you the very best with your recovery and hope that you never have to go under the knife again!

Last edited:
Wow, that is so unfair. Yeah, life isn't fair, but damn! Glad to hear you're doing better now. I hope that's the last setback you'll have - at least heart related!

P.S. It sounds like our moms are cut from the same cloth. LOL.

What. A. Story. So sorry to hear this but thrilled to hear that you're staying positive and on the road to recovery. Ah, yes, I remember cardiac rehab well. I'd go there and then go through Wendys for lunch. Now what's wrong with that picture? : )

Take care and best of luck!

Hey, I am sending you said bracket for your bike shortly. I am also including training wheels so that you can stay safe and not pedal too fast (otherwise you will be considered reckless). That half-marathon or was it 10k you wanted to do is still a possibility, albeit a little later in the year (end of summer or early fall - september will mark 6 month, right?). I still see 2014 as the year to do some more inspiring shtuff (yes, I was going to say sh.t).

Latest posts

Back