A setback: redo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn Anthony. Good thing they caught it when they did. You will be out of there soon enough. Good to hear you are okay now. To a strong recovery.

Matt

Holy f*&k that is crap news! I had to have a 2nd OHS 11 months after the first, so I know how you must have felt when you got the news that they had to go back in there just when you're feeling that you're getting your life back.

However as you say, in the grand scheme of things it really is a minor setback and there isn't a thing you can do to change it now - just get on with the rehab!

BTW not to sound like an old granny, but you pushed pretty hard after your first rehab, is there a possibility that you didn't give the valve/stitches enough time to settle???

Holy f*&k that is crap news! I had to have a 2nd OHS 11 months after the first, so I know how you must have felt when you got the news that they had to go back in there just when you're feeling that you're getting your life back.

However as you say, in the grand scheme of things it really is a minor setback and there isn't a thing you can do to change it now - just get on with the rehab!

BTW not to sound like an old granny, but you pushed pretty hard after your first rehab, is there a possibility that you didn't give the valve/stitches enough time to settle???

Its a shame if it played a role in it, but I was wondering that too, I know not lifting more than you are supposed to at times, can be hard when you feel so good. That its easy to forget not only the sternum but work on the heart and arteries need a certain amount of time to heal.. before it can safely be pushed.

There's no way to tell if my activity level played a role, however there was definitely an infection. Either way I'll be a little more careful following restrictions this time around, just in case. Thanks everyone

What a dreadful shock for you…and something we must all think might happen to us too. Do you really think your activity level might have played a role ? I was pretty ill for a few weeks after my surgery in January but the last few weeks I'm raring to go, doing tons of rehab and even lifting weights again as I'm not one to sit around so I can understand why you might have done a lot of activity. My understanding is that the heart does heal quickly, it's the sternum that's the slow bit since it's bone.

I hope you recover well…take care.

Now that well and truly stinks! I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this again, but look at it this way -- if anybody had to do this, you are one of the best equipped to succeed at it. You are young enough to still bounce back with good energy. You've lost some time on the path to recovery, but you are being allowed another "do-over" to ensure a stable, lasting repair.

Hang in there - we're here for you.

Really sorry to hear about your set back mate, all the best with your recovery second time around.
Take care of yourself.
Cromey

Anthony. That just sucks. I prefer your original description. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery this time around.

That sucks Anthony!!! I also prefer your original description - but it sounds like you're handling the situation very well.....like you say - what else are you gonna do about it, right?

Stay strong as you've always been.....seriously this will pass and you'll be back in no time even better than you were the first time around.

Thinking of you!

Rachel

My God, Anthony. That really sucks. I am so sorry to hear this, but what can you do as there really is no other choice. I recall Johnny from our forum having to have a second OHS as a result of a stitch coming loose on his mechanical valve (I think it was over a year after). Hang in there....we are all here for you. :)

One day at a time...

Anthony, your original title for this thread seems truly on point. I'm not certain I could have taken that sort of news. But as they say, it's water under the bridge. Continue to recover well and keep us updated. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. (by the way, I gave up swearing for Lent, but I don't think reading your title counts. whew! no money in the swear jar).
Keep up the good fight....

Anthony, this is crazy!!!!! At this point the sutures should have been fully scarred. Can you get more details on what they saw when then went in there? Which mechanical valve did you get for a redo?
You still have my skype, gimme a call.

So sorry to hear of this news. I always looked forward to hearing about how you were coming along since I was only a few weeks behind you! I'm sending positive thoughts your way my friend.
Dean

deets

deets

Anthony, this is crazy!!!!! At this point the sutures should have been fully scarred. Can you get more details on what they saw when then went in there? Which mechanical valve did you get for a redo?

Okay, the details: It was certainly an infection, and allot of people, including doctors are referring to my high activity level (which i do not blame them at all), The fact is that there was an infection on the valve which ate away at several stitches. My surgeon, who everyone says is the besta round these parts, said that "it looked like dog meat in there." he had to replace(repair?) the aortic root, thus reattach the coronary arteries. My aorta, which was repaired last surgery, was fine. The surgeons requested to use the St. Jude's valve only because they knew the procedure was already going to be tricky and the On-x valve apparently is a little more difficult to implant.

As an update: It is now 7 days since my surgery redo. I'm feeling pretty good actually. Not nearly as much pain in my surrounding muscles as last time. One thing that is definitely different; The PICC line that is in my arm that I have to use to deliver tons of antibiotics into my body, for 6 weeks. I just gave myself my first dose. Not too hard, but that's 5 hours of medication per day. Luckily I'm completely mobile with it, and the delivery 'devices' fit in a sweater pocket, so you wouldnt even be able to tell. They deliver the medicine with pressure, not by gravity, fyi. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some sleep tonight. talk to yall later.
oh and I really appreciate your support. This forum has been very important to me. I feel like Vadim is a brother, Steve Eps as a cool uncle, and everyone else is family too.
-Anthony

Back