A scar question?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Sorry folks ..here comes another silly question....I've already got a scar going round my chest and the upside T one from previous surgery ..if I have to have a replacement valve will the cut the previous scar ?.......just wondering.....
Scottie

Drs being the architects they are, they'll probly just cut it out, draw your skin a little tighter and make your boobs a little closer, leaving you with CLEAVAGE!:D ;)

Not a silly question at all - I, too, would be wanting to know the answer to this one.

plastic surgeon

plastic surgeon

Hensylee,
Were you perhaps a plastic surgeon in a previous life, LOL. That was a very funny response, but sounds good to me.
fdeg

They will try to cut through the previous one, unless you have another type of procedure. Joe has two sternum scars one within the other and one on the side (for his recent minimally invasive surgery), actually right under his chest muscle giving him a lift he didn't need.:D

Last edited:
fdeg - well, actually, on this one I speak from experience!! Admired my two sisters for having cleavage while I was denied however, after major heart surgery, there it was - but at 68 it ain't important anymore!:D

I've had 2 AVR's and the surgeon just followed the previous sternum scar, only longer for the 2nd
surgery( don't know why the scar is inches longer for the redo).
He just stitched it together doing his best to make the 1st scar disappear within the 2nd incision. It looks as good as the 1st scar 12 years ago, not any wider. He did a good job for me. I had my wires removed and the little incisions along the scar are almost gone, too.
Gail

To Gail RE: longer scar for redo

To Gail RE: longer scar for redo

I have the same problem. I mean with the longer scar from my second operation - not the cleavage.

When I noticed it, I told my wife that it was a longer incision because of the beer belly that I've grown since my first surgery has created more surface area. :eek:

I wonder what the real reason is. I also have 3 chest tube scars now instead of two.
Kev

Janie - am truly secretely grateful for the 'eventual' cleavage!!! Not so secret anymore - I tell everybody just in case they don't notice.:D

Kevin, I too have 3 tube scars; two on the left side ribs, one in lower part of lt boob! Maybe that's where the cleavage came in?:D

My stomach now looks like a face. I have one "chest-tube eye" on either side of the big incision and a "chest-tube nose" below it. Below that is my belly button, which looks like a mouth. It looks like I have a :eek: on my belly.

At least it doesn't look like an ass instead. I'd rather tell people that I'm two faced instead of double-assed!
Kev

hahahahohohoh still laughing from all the cleavage and scar jokes!! Except then I went and looked in the mirror :eek:
My GAWD what those Drs. must think....Honestly, I could go
for the Frankensteins bride award!! I have had three sternal
incisions, they are the BEST. The second one covered the first,
the third covered the second. Not bad at all. Course, if they keep this up, I told my Doc I will have one boob only! They just keep getting closer and closer together!!!

Now, as for that under around and through scar, thats another story. It starts under my left breast at the midline, travels completely around to the back, and then almost 6 inches UP
my back. Honest to goodness it looks like I had a run in with "Slingblade". (and lost!). The sternal incisions are great. Heal quickly. Not a problem. Not to worry!

Chest tubes, picture this; 8 count 'em, 8!! I once told a Doc in the ER that I was born with 4 sets of breasts and had to have them removed. It did make him pause for JUST a minute. Hey,
you gotta laugh.
:D

Hey Kevin - after storm Barry while I was locked at home w/no AC, I sat rocking on my front porch in my underwear, looked down at my scars, remembering what you said about the "face" you have. Well, lo and behold when I "suck it in" which is hard for a fat lady to do, I found that I have an upside down slanty eyed face with a mouth that looks sucked in, too. Wow, the things we do when isolated, bored and contemplative!!:D :D :D

You guys crack me up! I could only wish I had cleavage! Actually, I was dissappointed when the surgeon told me it wouldn't be big. My nephew(who had a liver transplant 5 years ago) and I have this scar comptition going to see who gets the biggest scars! HA HA HA!!!

Nancy, I was wondering, did Joe have to take penicillen for twenty years? It's just aweful, I'm jealous of the kids who get the bubble gum stuff:rolleyes:

Hi Joy-

Re: Penicillin, do you mean after he had rheumatic fever? No he didn't take it afterward. Also it wasn't in common usage when he got rheumatic fever, so he was in the hospital for a year on sulpha drugs.

A WHOLE YEAR?????????? I really don't like the sulpha things either. I had my son on those, and he got the poopies! BAD! I hope I can get the liquid soon. I gag every time I take a pill(four times a day!)They taste like rubber! Yukky! Well, I better go!
Joy:D

Latest posts

Back