A Plumbers report from the hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumber1

Hi there,

My wife notified the board of the success of my AVR surgery on 10/30/07 but I wanted to drop a note to say thanks for everyones support and well-wishes during this process. Having the resources at my fingertips that the VR website provides and the sage advice from the VR community at-large was invaluable.

The surgery took place with no-hitches and was complete in 3.5 hours. I received an On-x valve and a short section of dacron condiut. I would have left the hospital to go home on day 5 but they decided to hold me to just to double-check a small problem with the left lung.

I kept noticing the sound of a dripping pipe coming from the corner of the left side of the hospital room and finally asked my wife if she could look to see where the problem might be coming from, as I thought maintenance should be called to make repairs. She informed me that the noise was comming from my new valve, and wasn't a drip.

Thanks again.

MK

Glad you found the source of the drip :D :D no duck-tape needed

Glad to hear that everything is going well

Best wishes for great recovery

Great to hear from you MK- with a new valve and your humor intact. Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

It's good to hear from you and to know that the surgery was successful.
I look forward to more of your posts from home.:)

That was funny MK you thinking that there was a drip coming from the corner of your room but that it was the sound of your new valve. Well, some valves make a bit of a sound but many do not. With mine there is no sound unless I am in an quiet room with no other noise and then I can only hear it when I am on my left side. I hope yours isn't too bad and that you will get used to the sound that it makes.
Glad you are doing well after 5 days and that you're happy with your spanking new valve. Everything will be down hill from now on.:D :D
For the time being rest and let someone help you if needed. Take little walks and rest again. After that try to get a prescription for rehab. It's well worth it!

So Glad

So Glad

I am so glad to see your post! I am also jealous of all you folks that have a mind within a week of surgery. I couldn't watch TV, or read, let alone write! I had the same experience the first time I got up to go to the bathroom. I was sure the faucet was dripping! :D Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. All the best, Brian

Hey Plumber, did you ask them if they put some teflon tape down before they stuck the valve on? :D Glad to hear you are home! Aside from some ups and downs, things seem to get better quickly at home. Just remember to rest!

Joel

MK, I think that is SO funny that you were hearing a dripping pipe.....either it was still the effects of "pumphead" or you are a devoted plumber. Maybe you need some extra teflon tape around your valve connection...:D :D congratulations on being able to type so soon!!!

Welcome home! Be good to yourself. Your only jobs right now are to walk, sleep, eat and breathe.

So happy to hear of your successful surgery...and your smooth recovery! Your story of the dripping pipe made me laugh out loud! Thanks also for your recommendation of Swedish Medical Center...I had my first surgery consult there last week and the facility is quite impressive. I wasn't able to meet with the doc you mentioned (Dr. Curtis) but Dr. Teply seemed great.

I am encouraged by your recovery and am hoping and praying that you continue to do well! Take care of yourself and hopefully I'll be joining you on the other side of the Mountain soon!

PLUMBER!!!

WELCOME HOME! Good to see you posting again!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'

Thanks everyone for your support.

It is good to be home. My wife is just terrific helping me around these first few days. My dog still loves to be with me even though I make a new and different mechanical noise. Food tastes really good and I am sleeping in my own house. Simple little things make all the difference.

Some days it is just a great blessing just to be alive.

MK

Hey MK!! I've been out of pocket for about three weeks. I get back and see that all is well with you. I'm really happy. I've been thinking about you. You've got quite a group of cheerleaders here on VR. I am just very glad that you sailed through the surgery. I'd like too check in with you from time to time to make sure you get off your butt (in due time of course). Tell your wife hi and take her out somewhere special when you get to feeling better to tell her thanks for putting up with you. Lastly, just what did you get dressed up as for halloween? I'm glad for you, MK and your family. In reference to your note about the blessing of just being alive, I have a sign that hangs over the door that I see as I go outside. I see it each morning. It simply says that Everyday is a Blessing. It is isnt it.

MK......glad all is going so well!!! As said above all you need to do now is walk, eat and sleep.......I found the eating part most therapeutic:p :p :p

:p Pumpkin Cake:p

Hey thanks again everyone for all the support!

These are good points from veteran voices like friend TCopel: I do plan on taking my wife out as soon as reasonable to thank her for putting up with me, it's a great idea that I will cement on my calendar. I will probably surprise her with a show too. Promise to report back.

Anyway, I am glad to be back in action even if my days are spent eating walking and mostly sleeping. I used to walk the dog, but now she walks me as I need it more than her.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back