A little example of the value of home monitoring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am currently on vacation somewhere warm and sunny, in what has become something of a set annual two week break from the long, grey skies of winter in London, and indeed currently escaping a "storm of the century" . Though of course our UK weather is pretty gentle compared with what a lot of the rest of you get - we just enjoy moaning about it being too cold/too hot/too wet etc. Needless to say I have brought my now 5 year old trusty CoaguCheck XS with me, which is itself a joy in that it gives freedom to travel away from my anticoagulation clinic - no need to find one in a different country, particularly for those of us who are useless with languages.

A week ago my INR was 2.5, at the lower end of my therapeutic range of 2.5 to 3.5. After 4 days here it was 4.2 - not too much to worry about, but clearly a significant change, and good to know so that I can tweak my Warfarin dose down a bit. At home I find my inconsistent diet does not have much effect on my INR, but perhaps the change is more down to an increase in alcohol consumption (the poolside bar do some good value cocktails!), and I wonder if the weather has also been a factor? Here in the Canaries it is about 24 to 27C (75 to 80F) compared with a little above freezing at home, and non-stop sunshine.

Whatever the reason for the change in INR, the good thing is that I know about it and can react accordingly.

Good stuff, I found the same last year when I went to England my INR dropped way down and when I went round the other way to the USA 6 weeks later my INR went high

I think it must have had something to do with the gravometric forces of the earth
🧐😜🤪

Hey, Warrick - that's as good an explanation as any that I've heard. It might have something to do with the water running down the sink counter-clockwise in NZ, and clockwise in UK (and not running at all at the equator). Could it be some dietary changes - more K in whatever you ate in U.K. versus NZ foods?

Okay - you win. It MUST be gravometric forces at play.

I'm going to be doing a 3 week bike ride through a few European countries this summer. I don't think I would do it without a meter.
This might just be me (probably not) but I find I "need" to know where things stand with INR. Even though my readings are consistent and don't vary too much, I can't shake the underlying stressful feeling - minimal as it may be - that I have to know where I'm at.
It's like the old American Express slogan - Don't leave home without it.

Didn't this happen last year too?

... can't be the booze there can it?

Oh yes! I had forgotten that, but just re-found the post. Last year I over compensated with the amount I reduced my Warfarin dose by, but have learnt since then and hopefully won't do so this time.

It's 2.40pm here - too early for a cocktail? Just a small one then .... :)

but have learnt since then and hopefully won't do so this time.

another benefit of self testing, one learns about ones own dosing so one can live (struggles) a normal life.
38497102056_b3e2336c03_c.jpg

too early for a cocktail?
of course not ... what did you have? Bloody Mary and throw caution to the wind?

My INR goes wacky sometimes when I travel. It's not predictable, goes up some times, goes down other times. Is it due to diet, change in physical activity, increase in alcohol (no I drink at home too :)), less hugs (no sometimes I travel with the family), etc. ?

To me it just proves that managing an INR is not an exact science and shouldn't be over-thought. It's a range, not a target :)

This song was Country & Western, but it was also a popular song that got regular air play. It certainly did NOT discuss religion OR politics. "Chugalug chugalug, makes you want to holler hi-de-ho' etc. Roger Miller made novelty songs that didn't really talk either politics or religion. Other songs by him include King of the Road, Dang Me, Kansas City Star, and England Swings. (Kansas City Star, That's what I are... England Swings like a Pendulum Do .. and other unconventional lyrics, and there's not a twang in any of them).

Before you rule these songs out of hand, all were pop songs, all were sort of novelties, and none really discussed politics or religion.

When you get a chance, you may want to listen to them.

This song was Country & Western, but it was also a popular song that got regular air play. It certainly did NOT discuss religion OR politics.
I wonder if there is a little misunderstanding here. Pellicle said the song was like religion and politics, perhaps a reflection of his musical tastes in not liking Country and Western songs?

No misunderstanding here. He said that (playing) Country & Western was like dicussing religion and politics. He applied a particular value to songs LIKE this, without previewing it. This was a snap decision, kind of like a doctor deciding that a patient who has a murmur automatically needs a valve replacement because some people with murmurs are in need of one.

I was urging (or suggesting) that Pellicle listen to this (and other) Roger Miller songs. These are certainly (mostly) apolitical and not at all religious. For that matter, Andy, why don't you google these songs, give them a listen, and see what you think about them.

Latest posts

Back