A little drama before surgery-like who needs more drama???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Re: For those of you who don't know, Joe is going for his third valve surgery tomorrow

Yesterday the surgeon called and told Joe that the blood bank couldn't find enough blood in his type to do the surgery, and unless they could find it, the surgery would have to be postponed. He put an immediate search out for the blood and told us that he would know by today. Yikes! In addition to the fact that I have a very symptomatic husband here, it would mean the whole rigamarole of going off the Lovenox injections and back on Coumadin, then off of Coumadin then onto Lovenox again and then rescheduling this tough surgery.

We just got word about an hour ago that they were able to find blood, although the surgery would be pushed back until 9:00AM.

What a relief.

For all of you who've had your surgeries postponed, I feel for you!

There's nothing like hearing of the blood problem less than 24 hours before he's supposed to be in OR. That's pretty rude. I know hospitals have their problems like everybody else, but man, not having more than one days' blood for a non-elective surgery doesn't sound very organized does it? Maybe they had a rash of emergencies or something.

It's unfortunate Joe wasn't able to donate his own blood earlier, but with his symptoms, he probably wasn't a candidate.

Well, it caused some waves but at least they figured it out, right?

Nancy, all the best to Joe and yourself tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you.
Kev

Or maybe the blood bank ordered the wrong blood by mistake. I know I'll never be able to find out the answer to that one! Hospital secrets-----

All I can tell you is that the surgeon wasn't a happy camper, he's a pretty thorough guy.

Being one of those who works and knows what goes on behind the scenes at hospitals, my guess would be that some staff person was negligent or at least not proactive enough with the surgery preparations. I'll bet someone received the surgeon's wrath for it. Patients should never have to be bothered by these things and put in any more suffering and anxiety than they already have to be.

In any case, I'm glad it worked out for Joe and you. Both of you are in our prayers and please keep us posted. I believe Joe, if not already, will certainly be the veteran amongst all veterans here at ValveReplacement.com after this!

Nancy,
I hope everything goes well for Joe.....

I am one of those postponed people.... because of my high white count.

Who knows what happened, but you sure want to have enough of that good stuff around in case you need it! I started to bleed out during my surgery and received four units before they got it stopped.

One other thing.... the technician taketh and giveth..... after having my blood drawn once a week for months, they finally had to put more back in. lol

Take care and give Joe my best wishes,
Zazzy

Nancy.. I sure hope that all goes well with your Joe. Do you have people there with you to support you while waiting? I hope so!
I will be thinking and praying that all went well today.

Let us know as soon as you know.

Christina

Latest posts

Back