A Gigantic Thanks!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

As I sit here typing my very best friend (26yrs old) is undergoing aortic valve replacement. I am so nervous for her. I was online looking for general post op information, as I will be staying with her when she goes home. I came across this website and was a little sad that I hadn't found it before. She could have benefited immensely from the support network u all have here. I will definately show here this site asap.

I am glad to have found this support venue for her. Your stories have given me lots of hope for her bright recovery and normal life again.

Any ideas on post op care or things that could make her life a little easier once she is back at home?

Welcome! Feel free to register and tell us a little about yourself and your friend. We have many family and concerned others that post here.

I pray your friends surgery is going well.

Surgeon told me to not push, pull, or lift over 5 pounds for 8 weeks. He also told me not to drive for 8 weeks. He also told me to use a large pillow in front while riding. His concern was regarding the possibility of an airbag release. If she is given spirometer exercises, they are extremely important. I was given fluid consumption restrictions early on; not everyone is though. Taking bunches of pills for the first several weeks was complicated and had to be carefully timed and coordinated. Post-op complications can arise. Keep the surgeon and cardios phone numbers nearby for concerns. Short walks and lots of naps for your friend early on. There's lots more information onsite. Glad you found it. Hope all goes well for your friend.

(edit - regarding those sneezes others have posted about... I didn't need to sneeze for a few months after AVR, I think it was, and I had forgotten to be careful of it -- OO-UU-CC-HH!!! Coughs and sneezes -- your friend will just need to hug a pillow, like a shock absorber I guess.)

loose bras - sleep bras that close in front if you can find them. Loose clothing, especially to ride home after surgery. She may be given a list of exercises to do every day. Make sure she does them. Walk with her when she goes outside the first times - her balance might be off and she will be weak. Tell her not to let the 'evil' sneeze come. It's painful x 10 for some of us. Tell her to come on in. And blessins to her. (and you)

Latest posts

Back