a follow-up question about fatigue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jim_Bowker

A couple of weeks back, I posted a note about the fatigue I've suffered over the past ten years (I have moderate to severe AI, and more recently I've begun having chest pains and experiencing shortness of breath). I thank those who responded--their input has been heartening (pardon the pun) and most helpful.

What I'm also wondering, though, is whether those who have had AVR--and who also suffered from chronic fatigue prior to surgery--have felt better, in general, after the replacement.

I wasn't sure whether to put this post here or in the forum concerning post-surgical concerns, but since my question arises as the possibile need for AVR becomes more real, it seemed that this more general forum was the better bet. My primary cardiologist has wavered as to whether my fatigue (and even my more recent symptoms) are even cardiac--and both he and my second opinion doc have little to say about the chances for me to live a more normal life--in terms of my stamina--after surgery (if that seems to be the best option).

Gee Jim-

Chest pains, fatigue and shortness of breath--not cardiac problems??? Maybe it's time for a third and fourth opinion and maybe some testing. Did you have your echo yet?

Time to get PUSHY! I'd run not walk.

Nancy

Last edited:
Had extreme fatigue for 3 months prior to surgery, significant to major fatigue for 25 years before that. I am now two months post aortic valve surgery and the fatigue is gone. I still get a little tired due to the healing, but it feels much different. Before, I was always fatigued regardless of how much I rested. Now, the fatigue has been only after overdoing it and has been diminishing significantly with every week post-op. I returned to work yesterday and did nine hours like a breeze. I could tell the improvement in my heart function immediately after surgery.

Don't have surgery any sooner than you need to for your specific condition, but get as well informed as you can about it and definitely get as many opinions as you need to feel confident. On the other hand, a successful surgery will indeed make a huge difference. At least it has in my experience.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Fatigue

Fatigue

I agree that you need to get pushy and demand the tests to see why you are fatigued.

Secondly, if it is due to valve problems let me tell you that I went from not being able to walk out to the mailbox (about 50 yards) without gasping and stopping to doing great. I am running and walking about 2-3 miles every other day and doing weights on the other days. I take a nap only to pamper me, and I have pushed my bedtime back an hour. I was 56 at my surgery and I feel like 30 now and in some ways I feel better than I can ever remember!

Good luck and keep us posted!

As a reminder, I did not have valve replacement, but bypass. Before surgery, I was so tired and felt so bad I didn't think I could put one foot in front of the other and was breathless - just wanted to rest all the time. Somebody needs to find out just what your fatigue is from - they need to get off the pot - or you need further testing and information to be sure whether or not it's your heart. I actually had a heart attack that was missed at the ER in my local hospital, but thankfully I already had a cardiac appointment and they found it. Sometimes you just have to get another opinion. You know about that squeaky wheel, don't you. God bless

Back