A Fib disappointment / Setback

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike
I've been in A-flutter for seven months and am waiting for an ablation. Thankfully no symptoms for me (have a pacemaker, and am on atenolol) but it is a bit of a downer to have to go back into hospital. Good luck on Tuesday, I hope you get a clear treatment plan.

Bina's right, I have been taking Flecainide since last August. It works wonders for me, however, I was not in a-fib and everyone reacts differently to meds anyway, so even though it works great for me, it might not for you. I do know that my cardio took it for years for a-fib (after mitral valve repair), and he had great success with it until recently. I haven't had any problems with it, no side effects that I'm aware of (although I do have a longer QRS complex, so we are trying to figure out exactly that may play into things). Good luck and if I can answer any questions, let me know.

Kim

HI, MIke-
Same thing happened to me at week 2/3. My afib was so bad, it put me in the hospital for 10 days while they figured out the meds.
They talked about ablation, but my afib seemed to be caused from the surgery (lots of swelling of the heart)., so we waited.

I was taking 3 meds for the afib and it was controlling it pretty well. 4 months later we tried to eliminate the Cartia XT but the afib came right back so I started taking it again.

Then 14 months post surgery we tried again to eliminate the Cartia XT with EXCELLENT results. I've now been off the Cartia for 2 months with no issues or signs of irregular/fast heart beat.
In 2 more months we will try to eliminate the next med -- sotalol.

My point is that your heart is pretty pissed off after surgery. It has suffered a great insult. It will take a while to totally recover, so afib is kind of typical. Don't worry too much. Just give it some time.
:) :)
hi

did your afib issues resolve?
if so, how?

Pekster, were you recently diagnosed with Afib?

I met with my cardiologist 2 weeks ago and at 3 weeks post surgery. To my surprise the cardilologist EKG indicated Afib. The cardiologist described it as Ventricular Afib.
I was immediately prescribed a daily dose of Lixiana 60Mg and the cardiologist said that i would now be on an anti coagulant for lifetime and all because of the one EKG indicating afib and the additional risk of stoke, that Afib can cause.

The dozen or more EKG’s i have had in the past 15 years, including a few while at hospital in April have always been indicative of a sinus rhythm.

Me personally, given the choice I’d prefer cardioversion to remaining in afib waiting. If only for my mental health, when I’ve been in afib I was unable to think about anything else

Me personally, given the choice I’d prefer cardioversion to remaining in afib waiting. If only for my mental health, when I’ve been in afib I was unable to think about anything else
Agreed. I had 2 afib episodes before my surgery and I hated having the possibility of another hanging over my head. Fortunately I haven’t had any after my surgery in March. I’m on Amiodalone so I don’t know it that’s what‘s keeping it at bay or if it‘s my new valve is. Either way, I’m glad that I’m no longer constantly worrying about it.

Agreed. I had 2 afib episodes before my surgery and I hated having the possibility of another hanging over my head. Fortunately I haven’t had any after my surgery in March. I’m on Amiodalone so I don’t know it that’s what‘s keeping it at bay or if it‘s my new valve is. Either way, I’m glad that I’m no longer constantly worrying about it.
I’ve landed in the ER a few times with afib, but those were before my valve surgery. Right after surgery my heart was what my surgeon described as irritated but over time it’s gotten LOTS better. Especially since adding magnesium and b12 supplements

I’ve landed in the ER a few times with afib, but those were before my valve surgery. Right after surgery my heart was what my surgeon described as irritated but over time it’s gotten LOTS better. Especially since adding magnesium and b12 supplements
Glad to hear that. I’m going to research magnesium and b12 supplements.

I’m on Amiodalone so I don’t know it that’s what‘s keeping it at bay or if it‘s my new valve is.
Make sure you look up the side effects of Amiodarone Miguel. I was on this for one month, as I had afib while in the hospital, triggered by the diuretic. In my cardiology appointment, I told my cardiologist that was was eager to get off of it as soon as possible. He allowed me to stop it after a month and had me wear a Zio patch halter monitor for 2 weeks after going off. No sign of any irregular beats, so I was able to stay off of it and was glad for it. It is very hard on the liver and long term use increases the risk of cancer drastically.
I'm now off of both Amiodarone and Metoprolol and just take magnesium 3x per day to help control heart rhythm. I have no way to know if the magnesium is doing the trick, but a magnesium deficiency can lead to afib and can also increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, so it is a probably a pretty good supplement to be on for those with heart or valve issues.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/atri...here-to-get-your-magnesium-for-healthy-heart/

I’m on Amiodalone
I second Chucks cautions

Tip of the iceberg:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664595/
Amiodarone has been associated with multiple systemic adverse effects, including bradycardia, hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, pulmonary toxicity, ocular deposits, and liver function derangements. Recent animal and observational studies also suggested that amiodarone may cause renal impairment by reducing renal blood flow.​

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/01.CIR.67.1.45
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164718/
Bad interaction with warfarin and a long half life results in significant buildup in the body
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/16733-antiarrhythmic-medication-amiodarone

Pekster, were you recently diagnosed with Afib?

I met with my cardiologist 2 weeks ago and at 3 weeks post surgery. To my surprise the cardilologist EKG indicated Afib. The cardiologist described it as Ventricular Afib.
I was immediately prescribed a daily dose of Lixiana 60Mg and the cardiologist said that i would now be on an anti coagulant for lifetime and all because of the one EKG indicating afib and the additional risk of stoke, that Afib can cause.

The dozen or more EKG’s i have had in the past 15 years, including a few while at hospital in April have always been indicative of a sinus rhythm.
9 days after being discharged from hospital following surgery, i had an afib event, that led me having to go to A&E and spend 3 days in (a different) hospital.
I am now on 10mg/day of bisoprolol

I have my 6 week post op appointment on saturday. I still think my heart rhythm is a bit jittery , but we'll see then
If i'm still out of sinus rhythm i wonder if they'll cardiovert me quickly or wait longer and see if sinus rhythm returns

Incidentally, during the end of my stay in hospital following surgery, when they pulled the pacing wires out, i immediately developed an arrhythmia. I was quickly put on magnesium IV for around 2 hours....this put me back into sinus rhythm

google of the question reveals this:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41569-019-0166-5
  • Atrial fibrillation (AF) is a very common complication after cardiac surgery and also often occurs after non-cardiac thoracic surgery, increasing duration of hospital stay and costs.
  • Postoperative AF episodes are usually transient and follow a typical time course, peaking at 2–4 days after surgery.
  • Underlying mechanisms are specific and complex, including inflammation, myocardial ischaemia and adrenergic activation, in many cases superimposed on an underlying atrial substrate vulnerable to the induction and maintenance of AF.

I had an afib issue 24 hours after surgery in the hospital; was given Amiodarone and Metoprolol for 3 weeks;
also remember that the amiodarone was taken off slowly, from 2 pills, to 1.5 , 1, 0.5 , 0 during those 3 weeks
Probably not so good to stay long term on both.

9 days after being discharged from hospital following surgery, i had an afib event, that led me having to go to A&E and spend 3 days in (a different) hospital.
I am now on 10mg/day of bisoprolol

I have my 6 week post op appointment on saturday. I still think my heart rhythm is a bit jittery , but we'll see then
If i'm still out of sinus rhythm i wonder if they'll cardiovert me quickly or wait longer and see if sinus rhythm returns

Incidentally, during the end of my stay in hospital following surgery, when they pulled the pacing wires out, i immediately developed an arrhythmia. I was quickly put on magnesium IV for around 2 hours....this put me back into sinus rhythm

I met with my OHS surgeon today for a review, 5 weeks post OHS. He checked via my wrist and assures me that i am back in sinus rhythm today. Surgeon seems to think i will only need the Lixiana and Metoprolol for a few months, whereas the cardiologist seemed to say Lixiana for life.

I met with my OHS surgeon today for a review, 5 weeks post OHS. He checked via my wrist and assures me that i am back in sinus rhythm today. Surgeon seems to think i will only need the Lixiana and Metoprolol for a few months, whereas the cardiologist seemed to say Lixiana for life.
i hope i have a similar convo with my surgeon on saturday.
did you suspect you had gone back into sinus rhythm? where there any signs ?

I’d go with the surgeon. Drugs for life after one episode so soon after surgery? Everyone has a comfort level or not with drugs, especially beta blockers. I do not based on my experiences with them. So there is that perspective.

I think there always should be the opportunity to discuss and reevaluate later.

I have d No signs of heart rhythm here, or I don’t recognize Afib.
Tthe EKG and Afib result at the cardiologist was a total surprise.
The temporary state as indicated in your video seems very plausible and likely.

Latest posts

Back