a few questions...pre-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj/utvolsfan

1. How long should I tell my dad and sister to plan to hang around after surgery? They are both coming in from out of state and I don't want to keep them at Cleveland longer than I have to. If my hospital stay is 4 to 5 days, I am hoping that maybe by morning of day three - evening of day two, I can send them home. Any sooner than that? That would possibly give me a day or two max (barring any complications) without anyone there with me. My daughters are going to come up and get me (4 hour trip) to bring me home. I was hoping it would be a discharge, get in car, drive and stop, drive and stop, then sleep when I get home. Do we HAVE to stay in Cleveland post discharge? All of my kids are college students and I hate to keep them out of classes.
2. Is it possible to 'do it alone' by day three or four if I have to?
3. Will Cleveland now become my main cardio care people? Any other words, have I said good-bye to the Charleston Cardiology people for annuals, testings, etc.??? I don't think I will mind.
4. At what point in my recovery can I attempt a walk of a half a mile or so? At what point can I expect to sneak out and do these walks on my own whenever I feel like it.
5. I am being told I can possibly come back to work at three weeks post-op cause with teaching there is no heavy lifting, etc. However, if I want to lose control of my class, all I have to do is be stuck behind my desk!!!:eek: I don'
t want to sound like a whimp, but teaching is VERY stressful and I can't imagine coming back at 3 weeks no matter how much I love my kids!!! I am thinking more like 5 weeks or so. Geez, I was off 6 weeks for a hysterectomy. Are you telling me for Open Heart Surgery, a three week time off is standard???
6. POST-OP ..... I always always always get sick and have major anxiety when I wake up from any kind of surgery....I have this fear of throwing up with a ventilator down my throat. What are the chances? Are the nurses in charge of me at Cleveland going to take my concerns seriously enough to drug me to the maximum allowed by law??? I know that sounds silly, but I am such a wuss when it comes to post-op. Is it possible to be drugged to the point where I won't even remember coming out of surgery?
7. Will I be out of it before I am wheeled into surgery? Am I going to be thinking how brave I am when it is actually the meds working?
8. If all I am on is Toprol, will I be on any meds at all after surgery if my problem is going to be fixed? I don't take Toprol for high blood pressure.
9. Once I am home, how long do I have to have my daughters with me 24/7?? We are close but I want them to be able to get back to a normal life asap.
10. One of my closest teacher friends is wondering if my 'spaciness' will improve once my oxygen flow is normal. When I told him about 'pumpheadiness' and or cognitive compromises, we both groaned. I have always been on top of things and able to express myself, etc. In the last two or so years, I have noticed, I am just spacey and I lose my thought process sometime in the middle of conversations. There isn't dementia or anything like that in the family. I wonder if I have attention deficit disorder? I teach those kids, so I know what I am looking at. There just seems to be air up there in places where there used to be the gray matter.
11.. One more for now, how long do most ohs surgeries last? Mine is fairly simple ohs...Doctor said the hardest part with me will be opening me up.(shuddering right now at the thought), then on to the snipping of a pesky membrane, do a tee and an echo and repair two valves...possibly only one will need repaired.
Ok, that is all I have for now. Oh, can someone help me find the links to what to take to the hospital? Can't find them.
I know my post is entirely too long and I do apologize. I promise to keep them short for now on! Can't imagine having any more questions!
Thanks in advance! Debbi:eek:

dj/utvolsfan said:
1. How long should I tell my dad and sister to plan to hang around after surgery? They are both coming in from out of state and I don't want to keep them at Cleveland longer than I have to. If my hospital stay is 4 to 5 days, I am hoping that maybe by morning of day three - evening of day two, I can send them home. Any sooner than that? That would possibly give me a day or two max (barring any complications) without anyone there with me. My daughters are going to come up and get me (4 hour trip) to bring me home. I was hoping it would be a discharge, get in car, drive and stop, drive and stop, then sleep when I get home. Do we HAVE to stay in Cleveland post discharge? All of my kids are college students and I hate to keep them out of classes.
2. Is it possible to 'do it alone' by day three or four if I have to?
3. Will Cleveland now become my main cardio care people? Any other words, have I said good-bye to the Charleston Cardiology people for annuals, testings, etc.??? I don't think I will mind.
4. At what point in my recovery can I attempt a walk of a half a mile or so? At what point can I expect to sneak out and do these walks on my own whenever I feel like it.
5. I am being told I can possibly come back to work at three weeks post-op cause with teaching there is no heavy lifting, etc. However, if I want to lose control of my class, all I have to do is be stuck behind my desk!!!:eek: I don'
t want to sound like a whimp, but teaching is VERY stressful and I can't imagine coming back at 3 weeks no matter how much I love my kids!!! I am thinking more like 5 weeks or so. Geez, I was off 6 weeks for a hysterectomy. Are you telling me for Open Heart Surgery, a three week time off is standard???
6. POST-OP ..... I always always always get sick and have major anxiety when I wake up from any kind of surgery....I have this fear of throwing up with a ventilator down my throat. What are the chances? Are the nurses in charge of me at Cleveland going to take my concerns seriously enough to drug me to the maximum allowed by law??? I know that sounds silly, but I am such a wuss when it comes to post-op. Is it possible to be drugged to the point where I won't even remember coming out of surgery?
7. Will I be out of it before I am wheeled into surgery? Am I going to be thinking how brave I am when it is actually the meds working?
8. If all I am on is Toprol, will I be on any meds at all after surgery if my problem is going to be fixed? I don't take Toprol for high blood pressure.
9. Once I am home, how long do I have to have my daughters with me 24/7?? We are close but I want them to be able to get back to a normal life asap.
10. One of my closest teacher friends is wondering if my 'spaciness' will improve once my oxygen flow is normal. When I told him about 'pumpheadiness' and or cognitive compromises, we both groaned. I have always been on top of things and able to express myself, etc. In the last two or so years, I have noticed, I am just spacey and I lose my thought process sometime in the middle of conversations. There isn't dementia or anything like that in the family. I wonder if I have attention deficit disorder? I teach those kids, so I know what I am looking at. There just seems to be air up there in places where there used to be the gray matter.
11.. One more for now, how long do most ohs surgeries last? Mine is fairly simple ohs...Doctor said the hardest part with me will be opening me up.(shuddering right now at the thought), then on to the snipping of a pesky membrane, do a tee and an echo and repair two valves...possibly only one will need repaired.
Ok, that is all I have for now. Oh, can someone help me find the links to what to take to the hospital? Can't find them.
I know my post is entirely too long and I do apologize. I promise to keep them short for now on! Can't imagine having any more questions!
Thanks in advance! Debbi:eek:

Hi Debbi,
Remember that post-op recovery period can vary to a consideral degree. You are having two valves done and that affect your early post-op period as well.

I'll comment on just a couple of your questions and others will join in I'm sure.

1. It is nice to have a family member with you while at the hospital to keep watch over your care but by day 3 or 4 (barring complications) you should be a functioning human being again though expect to be weak as water. I think day 3 was the day I asked my husband to go back to work and get what he needed to be done done so He would be free to spend the week-end at home with me. I have no experience with CC nor their requirements immediately post-op. I had about a two hour drive home and it felt great getting into bed at home and knowing my husband was there to answer the phone and keep the home fires burning.

2. I know a lot of people had help for at least the first week to ten days at home but I felt comfortable home alone, with a phone within easy reach, for several hours at a time after being home about 4 days. This is highly variable and I know I would not have wanted to be home alone 24/7 at that point. I would never have taken a shower without someone around yet as periods of dizziness can occur and it wouldn't have been a wise thing to do. You use the term..."if I have to"..... If you "have to", you can do a lot of things. I know how you hate to be a disruption to your kid's college schedule but it could be a good thing to allow one or more of your daughters to be your temporary caregiver. An opportunity like that can be a great learning experience and maybe even have a lifelong positive effect.

3. When I left Duke at discharge ALL physical follow-up was at my local MDs. They were there if I needed and I did make a couple of phone calls soon after my return home but I never again had to make the drive.

4.........I don't know. What I am comfortable with another person may not. I think the world is a much smaller place when I have a cell phone in my pocket.

5. I have had both OHS and a complete hysterectomy. For me, the first day or so after OHS was more cluttered with machinery and tubes and people in and out of the room all the time but painwise, the hysterectomy was a more difficult recovery. You will have lifting restrictions and at only three weeks out your afternoon nap will probably still feel awfully good. Recovery sometimes should not be rushed. It is important to remember that healing takes time.

I've got to go for now....hungry husband!:)

I've seen my husband through several thoracic surgeries. I think you will need someone there 24/7 for at least the first week, possibly a little longer. 2 weeks would be nice, but you could probably get around well enough into the second week to go a while between people being there. But you are still going to need some sort of help.

You will have driving restrictions for about 6-8 weeks to allow your sternum to heal.

You will have a lifting restriction which only allows a couple of pounds, and does not allow something as heavy as a gallon of milk. Also opening heavy doors will be very painful and is not recommended.

You will be "out of it" for the first week, in all probability, due to pain meds and anesthesia which is hanging around in your body.

You will have mood swings and difficulty sleeping.

You will not feel like eating much of anything. Most people say food tastes like dirt.

Getting into and out of a bed is very difficult, which is why most people agree that a recliner chair is a good place to sleep. Joe slept sitting up on the sofa with his feet propped up. Didn't look comfortable to me, but it was his operation, so he was allowed to do what felt good for him.:)

You will need some help with personal care (showering, etc.) for the first week. You will be as weak as can be and sort of unsteady on your feet. Get a shower chair.

As you start to feel stronger and are walking a little more, remember that you also have to walk back to your home, so keep that in mind when deciding how far to go. There are some members here who had to sit down on the curb to regain enough strength to get back home again.

Don't expect to be bouncing around the place after this surgery. It's tough surgery.

Your mind will not be able to concentrate for a while after surgery. Make any important decisions BEFORE surgery. Don't balance your checkbook the day you come home or you will be surprised.:D

Most of all you must have patience and allow for small baby steps in all things. Your body will heal, but it does take lots of time.

Nancy..

Nancy..

I am 5 weeks post-op and I agree with almost everything you said except a couple of things.
First I have not had any mood swings yet.Maybe I am lazy ;) but I am quite content for now to lay around the house, sleep late in the morning without the alarm clock waking me up, read without feeling that I should be doing something else , enjoy the 70 degrees sunny weather with short walks outside,... in other words letting my body heal without any hurry.
Second is appetite... I think I hated the food at the hospital so much that when I got home I was always hungry. Also I had my sister here to cook for me..she is a much better cook that I am.:) The doctor said I was the exception to the rule...that most people do not have an appetite after OHS. Maybe it is heriditary.. :) my brother had chemo therapy a couple of years ago and the doctors said he was the only person they had ever come across who put on weight( not swelling from fluid) while on chemo. Ray said he was always hungry.

I will be 5 weeks post op this Wed 2/22. I was in the hospital for almost 6 days and once I returned home, I did not want anyone staying with me. I was a little weak but I remember being on the treadmill exactly one week to the hour of my ohs. I have now worked up to about 3 miles a day and for the most part I have felt fine. I went in for my post op checkup last week and got the green light to drive but like Praline, I have not stressed myself out about getting back in the saddle full swing...all in due time. I also had a fear about waking up with the ventilator down my throat but I barely remember it being there. Apparently, I did begin to wake up with it still there because they had to restrain me...I dont remember this at all and the only reason I knew they did was because my sister told me. I vaguely remember hearing the nurses say, "is he breathing on his own? It looks like he is" then the tube came out. Honestly, I was more freaked out about waking up with that down my throat than anything else and it turned out to be no big deal. In the ICU they will most likely have a "port" into your carotid artery in your neck and you can ask for morphine whenever you feel any pain. When they give it to you its an immediate response and I can honestly say that I felt GREAT in ICU. The day after surgery was tough but every day since has progressively gotten better. I brought ear plugs with me for the ICU and once I got into a private room they helped mask my moms snoring...even though she swears she doesnt snore. I brought my i-pod but only listened to it once. Friends brought me some magazines which I glanced at. I brought a pair of pj bottoms so i did not have to walk around the nurses stand with my backside showing. I cant think of anything else but there is a post that had a list of items to bring to the hospital. Anyway, best of luck to you...you're going to an incredible hospital and will be well taken care of. Meanwhile, take it easy and you'll be in our prayers.

Be well...

Debbi, I requested to be kept medicated with something to combat nausea continually until the effects of anesthesia wore off. I requested this of my anesthesiologist and my surgeon. The OHS was the first major surgery I had that I did not get sick upon awakening. I know how awful that feels and I hope you request the same and that it works for you. Don't worry about vomiting while on the vent. The endotracheal tube keeps the lungs protected and you will most likely have a naso-gastric tube in that keeps your stomach empty.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Debbi, Nice bit of homework! Good questions! The main thing I would add to the other's anwers is not to go back to work too soon! I was a very active 29 year old when I had one valve replaced. I took the full 3 months for recovery! Now I must confess that my ex had me on quite a rehab routine, and I was in better shape when I went back to work than I've probably ever been, before or since! I'd say a minimum of 2 months, just not too soon...:)

After you climb the mountain....

After you climb the mountain....

Hi Debbie--
Funny you should post these questions--excellent ones, actually!

Most have already given the answers I would give...I would go get as much time off as you can manage. I went back part time after 6 weeks and just the walk in from the parking lot was good exercise. Plus I enjoyed the social aspect, as much as I enjoyed being off I missed my work friends LOL. However, when I first went back, 4 hours a day to start was all I could manage and I was ready for a nap after that!
I have a pretty complex case--so I am going to go to CCF once a year for follow up. It's a long drive for me, but I can stop a little past half way and stay the night with my brother, then drive on up to Cleveland to see the doctor, then drive back, stay the night again, and come on back to Louisville the next day. I trust my cardio here but with Dr Griffin's interest in radiation induced heart disease I like the idea of him taking an occasional look at things. Plus I think he does a better echo than the doctor here.
I was in the hospital for 7 days, the last three waiting for my INR to get above 2. I would have been fine after the third day if I'd been by myself, had great nursing care plus felt good enough to get up, walk, use the computer, take a shower on my own. I had to go back in a week after discharge because of a pericardial effusion. We had gone to see Dr Griffin and I ended up staying LOL, which was a blessing because I felt so crappy by the time I saw him.
I had no problems waking up on the vent, and, knock on wood, have never had any issues with nausea post anesthesia. Like Betty said, just make sure they know you're at risk and that you get the appropriate drugs. Tell them when you go up for your pre-surgery visit before the big day, you'll meet with someone from anesthesia then. Don't wait until you're in the OR, you may be overwhelmed and forget. I just wanted them to give me some Versed and get me into happy land.
My pain control was great--they were giving me morphine every hour and then gave me something called Toradol, which is like a super strong iv ibuprofen. I actually liked it better than the morphine because it didn't make my mouth as dry. It can't be used long term, though, on our unit we usually can't give it for more than a day or two.
Bring your own pajamas for when you get up to the room, something that opens in the front or is stretchy so you can show off your incision on demand. Dr Lytles NP insisted that I wear a bra post surgery (why I'll never understand since I"m hardly what you'd call busty) but if you can get your hands on a sleep bra it's probably more comfy than a surgical bra. They sell them at wal-mart. I guess they don't want the weight of your breasts pulling on the incision.
it'll be here before you know it--I can't believe it's been nearly a year since I had my surgery!

I can't imagine going back to teach at three weeks. I had my surgery in early June, and I don't think I would have even been ready by the first week of August (our school start time).
I don't know about you, but I was always moving desks, moving around the room, walking long distances up and down staircases to get my class to PE, Art, Music, etc. I couldn't have done that at three weeks. Another concern is that you're not fully healed at three weeks, and I think you would be more suseptible to infection and illness.
Regarding your "spacey" feeling, my brain has certainly benefitted from getting more oxygen!:p :p My thoughts are much clearer, and my ability to concentrate has vastly improved. I think that my experience might be an exception, but valve replacement was good for my brain.
Good luck!
Mary

re: anesthesia, good news and bad news

re: anesthesia, good news and bad news

Hi Debbi,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth of experience. I too suffer badly from anesthesia. No matter how strongly you explain to the anesthesiologist (and/or the surgeon(s) and /or the attending nurses), that you react badly to being placed under anesthesia, they NEVER take you seriously. No, that isn't quite accurate. Most anesthesiologists insist that they have a light hand or that they'll use plenty of anti-emetics before, during and after, and blah, blah, blah. After every surgery I've woken up vomiting. My PCP says it's all in my head. :eek: Even if it is -- it's still a problem. Still, taking her advice to heart I read a book called Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster: A Guide of Mind-Body Techniques by Peggy Huddleston. I practiced meditating and positive affirmations for weeks before I went into surgery.

The good news?! When I had my OHS I was unconscious all the time I was vomiting. One of the other members mentioned that the ventilator tube inhibits any vomit from getting into the lungs. Must be true. I "inhaled" nothing. The only reason I know that I was vomiting was because my husband was present. I was vaguely aware when the nurses were suctioning out my mouth (but I wasn't scared). When I became truly "aware" it was several hours later and the tube had been removed. All in all, even though one of my worst fears had been realized, it was not a trauma.:)

RitaAnn

RitaAnn

I sure hope they listen to me...how could being sick to my stomach possibly be in my head?? That would infuriate me. Ok, I would have to say then , 'is this vomit in my head? No, it's on your shirt." Sorry about that. :mad:
Good to hear you were not totally aware of your vomiting. Man, I hope I am out of it. Geez, I dread this so much. Just keep reminding myself it is going to be worth it. Thanks for responding.
Debbi

I too have gotten sick everytime I had anesthesia. Not just with general anesthesia but also any other anesthesia also. It is ont in my head because everytime it was a different anesthesia I was convinced I would be fine. Unfortunately I wasn't and I was miserable!

Back