___ 25 ___

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

My aortic valve replacement anniversary is 25 years on Tuesday, July 26th. I don't often celebrate the occasion any longer and this time I'm just going out to lunch with my wife and daughters.

Later in the day, I have a date with 100 triathletes for a swim training session. I joined a Tri Club so I could train for a couple open water swim races in August at 1 mile and 2.5 Km. I have been noted for many years on this board and others as an inveterate runner. That came to an end this past winter when I was diagnosed with spinal arthritis and the pain induced by the pounding became unbearable. That began to bother me about a year ago and I fought it for 6-7 months, but the arthritis won and I can no longer run without pain. I had racked up some fairly impressive numbers since AVR though, with over 25,000 miles (the circumference of the earth is 24,900) and 330 races on roads, trails and track from 200 meters to half marathons. I even had some satisfyingly competitive periods in my early 60s, winning several age group awards.

Now, as an old dog with a new trick, I've merely switched games at the age of 68 and concentrated on swimming since the arthritis is not a problem with that at all. And never once in all that time with all that activity, have I had any more heart issues.

Glad that everything is going well for you. Your experiences prove the point that life after OHS is pretty much the same as before the surgery. Like you I am finding "senior age" brings a whole set of issues that have nothing to do with my valve.........and that's a good thing.

All I can say, is WOW, Jack! Not only on 25 years of success, but on the vast array of things you've done during the years. I know what you mean about arthritis usually winning - that's why I had to give up running, too. In my case it is not only back, but both knees. I've never been as competitive as you have been, so I've just switched to other exercise outlets to continue my workouts.

Jack - you are truly an inspiration to the rest of us. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences over the years. May you have many, many more wonderful years to add to them.

I have a significant anniversary coming up next month, too. I've usually done little to mark the anniversary except to acknowledge that the anniversary arrived.
I haven't been as active as many others here. Although I was only 41 when I had my AVR, apparently there was some weakening of the walls of my heart (or something). I'm not really having any serious cardiac issues, but I'm taking more heart medications now than I ever did. These damned medications cause drowsiness that I'm often fighting to shake off.
Perhaps my new cardiologist can figure out what I actually need and what I don't need (or can limit the dosage of).

Congratulations on your 25th, and your high level of activity - even if it's in the water.

I have a swimming pool, too -- perhaps I can get a prescription from my doctor to swim every day - and maybe even finally get a heater for the darned thing.

Latest posts

Back