9th year on Aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewfoundlandBob

All is well according to my Cardiologist, dosen't want to see me until 2011. My weight is holding at 205 lbs, was 240 last winter. Eating healthier and watching portion size. Bicycle is my primary transportation, 20km day or so. Lots of hills in St. John's Newfoundland, generally walk up the steep ones with rest stops. Heart rate is 160 by that point, my resting rate is in the high 50's.

Also the one year anniversary for my decending aortic aneurysm repair.funny how that surgery ended up at the same time. Had the gold standard done - dacron tube again. The endoscopic method although less invasive has more long term consequences. It was a more complicated and invasive surgery than the valve replacement, incision snaking down my abdomen starting 1 inch below valve replacement incision about 12 in in length. I found out afterwards they carefully set to the side; liver, gall bladder, intestines etc whilst they do their thing. I was told all the internal organs are very healthy.

And it was amazing how easily I handled the affair, great preparation from the valve surgery 9 years ago. Longer recovery though, took a long time for stuff to get back into position, nerves to reconnect, etc.

Yes, it looks like I was split down the middle with the replacement surgery below the neck and aneurysm incision 3" below my navel. It's a badge of honour for sure.

Did you mean until 2021? Congrats on the anniversary! Wasn’t sure if this was an old post with the dates! Must be a hit at pool parties with that impressive work done!

I remember all the looks from the kids at the resort pool in Disney 6 months after my last surgery.

And it was amazing how easily I handled the affair, great preparation from the valve surgery 9 years ago. Longer recovery though, took a long time for stuff to get back into position, nerves to reconnect, etc.
glad you made it through ... I'm sure it feels good to know you pushed through

Back