90% event free survival rates with mechanical valves. 30 years period!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago SJM had a marketing slogan "Not New Not Improved"

It's the exact same valve today as was first introduced over 40 year ago.
(you can call the Regent "different" but the design principle is the same as the original)

The Fuel door on my Toyota probably had new technology. There's a spring that pops the door open when you lift a lever. The spring breaks - new technology gone bad.
You had something broken on a Toyota? That’s really bad luck we have a history of driving Toyota for two decades now, 95% incident free. 😁
interesting metaphor still. Ford could come with a new model and promise me the same but I’d have a hard time believing them just because they say so and prob go for the RAV4. It is not easy for oneX having to trail stjude’s multi decade history...Essentially same with warfarin, I take Phenprocoumon instead, supposedly more stable and easier getting there but no solid evidence. Why, because no one cares/studies warfarin works, had been for decades, is cheap, fda approved, incident rates are relatively low, and drug drug interactions are very well studied over the years and therefore well known.
Still glad there are parties out there that take on the challenge to keep investing in improvements, whether they really are improved....time will, no other way

For those interested, a relatively recent ( a year ago) investigation of the hydraulics of SJM vs. On-X was published in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Vol 159 #1 by Hatoum, Maureira, and Dasi. "A turbulence in vitro assessment of On-X and St Jude Medical prostheses" (I'd paste a link directly by my version prohibits distribution!). I know most normal people aren't interested in hydraulics . . . but I am! Anyway: here's the conclusion .. .

Conclusions: This study shows that despite the design differences that characterize the On-X valve, the hemodynamic and turbulence parameters were not necessarily improved compared with SJM. (J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2020;159:88-97)

Another relevant summary sentence: This study shows that despite the design differences between the 2 valves, hemodynamic and turbulence parameters are close.

The On-X valve showed some small pressure drop/area advantages, but it's leaflets showed some minor oscillation giving SJM some minor turbulence advantages.

As others have said, if you already have your valve or are choosing one, the differences hemodynamically are not very relevant. If you do not have a new valve (yet) or are having difficulties, the much larger impact comes from the valve area itself. Likely a non-issue unless you are younger, very active, etc. and can truly benefit from a larger valve. In those cases, I do think that a discussion of valve area with the surgeon in advance can be beneficial. At least it was for me.

If the bioprosthetic valves would just last forever . . . . . . . .

Back