9 year followup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Few of you likely remember me, but I was a regular user here in the early 2000's. My wife (then 32 years old) had a mitral valve repair at the Cleveland Clinic in 2005. Dr. Cosgrove was her surgeon.

Yesterday was her 9 year followup evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic. Her regurgitation which was a 4+++ ("very severe") before the surgery and "trivial" a few days after the surgery is now stabilized at a 2+ ("mild"). When we had our second child in 2007, it strained the repair a bit, and she jumped from trivial to 2+ in a matter of months. But no change since.

We're told she has a "good" repair but not a perfect one, and she will likely need another repair someday. But apparently not any time soon. They tell us now that re-repairs generally occur over replacement 75% of the time. By the time she has to go back under the knife, I'd bet that's over 90%.

Anyway, I thought I was long overdue for an update. I hope you're all doing well.

Christian

thanks for your coming back and adding details. Its excellent stuff for the newer members. I'm glad also to read that you look back on the anxiety as just a memory. I am sure that sort of information is good to read (although I doubt will be grasped) by those in the thick of it.

Best Wishes

Good news, and thanks for posting an update.

When I first started using the forum, I tried to identify members who had similar age and condition and follow their histories, so this will be useful to someone facing valve repair.

Christian, thanks for the post. I remember your last update, and I knew that things were going well, but additional reassurance after nine years is always good to read. Best wishes to your family going forward.
Mary

I dropped by to update this post. Almost 13 years post-surgery now, and my wife is still stable at 2+ regurgitation. No change since 2007. We can't complain about that. I hope everyone is well.

Latest posts

Back