81 mg aspirin no longer recommended?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I had the same issue, the nosebleeds were so bad I would have to pull over in my car and use a lot of tissue to stem the bleeding. I was taken off of it shortly after. My new cardiologist is thinking go placing me on blood thinners and I wonder if I would have the same issues.
My ENT thought the bad nosebleeds were due to adding 81mg aspirin to my normal warfarin dose. I agree. I continue to take warfarin (very necessary) but have discontinued the aspirin.

My new cardiologist is thinking go placing me on blood thinners and I wonder if I would have the same issues.
as I understand it you have a repaired mitral ... is that right?

I don't know the back story (which would help) but usually there is a reason why "they" want to put you on "blood thinners". I'd ask more about that, because there is a possibility that such nose bleed issues would make being on blood thinners less than ideal.

That's a conversation for you and them. What (I think it is that) we can contribute here is discussions about what you've been told means if you didn't fully grasp it. Two heads are better than one sorta thing.

Best Wishes

Nope, needs to be taken daily unless the doctor tells you otherwise
Nope, needs to be taken daily unless the doctor tells you otherwise.
Few Doctors have given me go ahead even to stop aspirin completely since I do check INR almost weekly . Few Doctors have given a go ahead with some caution . But they say many years back the protocol was only warfarin with INR between 2 and 3.5 . Combination of warfarin and aspirin was recently introduced . I know few who have metallic valve and only on warfarin

This is probably not the right spot for this - but I've been reading The Great Cholesterol Myth. In the book, the authors completely misunderstand the function of Vitamin K and assume that a 'blood thinner' changes the viscosity of the blood (rather than affecting the coagulation cascade that uses Vitamin K - and that anticoagulants - called Vitamin K agonists (VKA) make it take longer to coagulate).

The worst part of the book is their discussion of supplements - and the claims that some of the supplements make platelets less sticky. The 'less sticky' platelet issue is what we experience with Aspirin and other NSAIDS. The authors write about the supplements that make the platelets less sticky - but don't issue any warnings to people who take warfarin that these supplements may be dangerous.

While this has nothing to deal with lower intestinal issues, the use of supplements may have something to do with OTHER symptoms - and we WERE discussing 81 mg Aspirin, weren't we?

---

Personally, I've been taking 81 mg aspirin daily. I haven't experienced any issues.

I had a TIA a decade ago - because I trusted a meter that said 2.6, while my INR was actually more like 1.6. Like Dick, this had nothing to do with aspirin usage - it was a result of incorrect anticoagulant use.

Latest posts

Back