8 weeks postop update - back in the gym!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirone

It's been a while since my last update and I've been busy recovering. Had an awesome day at the gym! Finally after 8 weeks I did some dumbbell chest presses. I only took 2 lbs, but it felt great and didn't hurt at all. I almost felt like healthy again, although I used to take a couple of lbs more... Next time I might take 3 lbs :D

After a stress echo 10 days postop I started a heart rate adjusted cardio training on a stationary bike (3x 45min per week). In addition to that I went for up to 3 longer walks per week (1-2h). This kind of light endurance training is supposed to support the remodeling process of the heart and for sure helps to get back in shape faster. Further I went to the gym since postop week 3. At the beginning I only trained my legs, at 4 weeks additionally abs and lower back. Then at 6 weeks I felt like it might be a good idea to get some blood back into my rotator cuff, upper back and chest. So I did some very light thera-band exercises with basically no resistance.
Although I really eat a lot, I'm still down 12 lbs compared to preoperative. Now, I didn't lose fat (since I don't have much of that anyway), but rather muscle mass. So I guess I'll gain those pounds fast, once I can workout harder.

Pain was manageable the whole time. My neck and back got better once I was able to sleep on my side around 3 weeks postop. Unintentionally I started to turn during sleep. The first time I was rather surprised to wake up on my side and turned immediately back. But as it happened again and again I thought it couldn't be that bad... I still feel some pain in that spot between the shoulder blades, but I'm very glad that this is my biggest problem at the moment :D

So glad to hear that you're doing so well!!!

I'm sure that stress echo gave you lots of information and confidence as well to start gradually building back up your endurance and your strength. Sounds to me like you're doing an EXCELLENT job in getting back into exercise safely!!!!

Hope you continue to post on your progress as time goes on!

Hi Tirone

Congrats on the progress and good to hear another member doing well! My situation is similar to yours, 31 BAV and dilated root. My valve is working great though so it looks like my root will be the limiting case for surgery but still watching and waiting. I see you had the root replaced an your valve repaired? I was trying to follow your previous posts but couldn't see the outcome on what you decided.

There is an update I have been waiting for. Tirone good job on everything.
RE: your back pain/discomfort:
Get a lacrosse ball and have someone massage your back with around the tender spots or have someone place said ball between your shoulder blades and the wall against which you are leaning. Then apply pressure yourself just a little beyond comfort level to get blood flow in that area. Spend 1-2 minutes on that and repeat twice a day.
Here is a walkthrough for ya: http://www.benbruno.com/2012/03/self-myofascial-release-for-the-pecs-and-shoulders/

Ahhh yeah the dreaded massage ball. Better hold onto that thing as it will come in handy for massaging other body parts that get sore as you increase your exercise - which it is GREAT to hear you are doing!!

Wishing you continued exertional successes - do you have any goals in mind, races, events, etc.?

@Tdot: I wasn't sure about my valve choice until very close before surgery. Both mechanical AVR and repair appeared to be good options for me. My surgeon, who has done >300 aortic valve repairs during the last ten years, thought I'm a good candidate for repair. Reading tons of medical papers about aortic valve repair gave me an idea of the procedure and consequences. But you can find so many pros and cons, good and bad outcomes that it's hard to judge if your not a cardiac surgeon yourself... At the end I based my decision on the recommendation of my surgeon. His plan was to first try a repair, if it doesn't work switch to the Bentall procedure. Obviously the first one worked and the echos showed no regurgitation so far, which is a strong predictor for good outcome.
If you decide to have a repair it's crucial to have it done at a very experienced clinic by a very experienced surgeon.

@TheGymGuy: Great to year from you! I just tried the ball massage against a wall. While it looked a bit awkward, my back felt very relaxed afterwards. Good idea!

@ski girl: Thanks ski girl! I was actually training for a race last year but didn't make progress like I was used to. The cardiologist then told me why and got this whole story started... Yesterday I saw a post for a 10k run in 3 months. I know what my cardiologist would say to this. Still my thoughts were: "If I don't ask him, don't run too ambitious and keep my heart rate within an acceptable range it should be possible.;) Does that sound reasonable? Anyway, it might be wiser to just wait and see how the next ergometer stress test goes in 4 weeks.

Thanks Tirone awesome that it worked out so well for you, all the best in you continued recovery

Tirone - You're another great example for folks getting close to surgery themselves. Life can go on, and is almost always better. I'm glad you're getting back to it.

I never tried the lacrosse ball, but when I pinched a nerve in my lower back, the therapist recommended a foam roller. I just lay on it and roll my spine up and down the thing - like a snake. It sure helps with sore back muscles when I need it.

Careful with those heavy (3 lb) weights :biggrin2: I'm a bit older than you (now 66) and before surgery I was lifting moderate weights at high reps -- like 35-40 lb curls, 50-60 reps. Since surgery, I've only made it back to handbells at 15 lb each hand, for 30 reps, but it is better than nothing. At least it maintains definition. It's all good, as long as you keep improving, as it seems you can.

Thanks Steve! I think one reason for getting back to normal life fast is to leave the comfort zone. After some rough first days, I continuously asked the nurses to accompany me for a walk, go up some stairs or take a walk to the cafeteria with visitors. During the whole recovery I always tried to do a little bit more than I felt comfortable with. Eat one bite more of dinner, although I wasn't hungry, read two more pages in the book, although I was tired, walk 10 feet more down the hallway, and so on. Looking back it was almost like the kind of training I'm used to from competitions or runs, except that you start from the very bottom and everything takes longer. I was happy about every single step I made forward and things I could do again after surgery (taking a shower was awesome! So was my first beer...). Of course there were some bad days as well, but they weren't as bad as I expected them to be. Live goes on!

You got it Tirone. Always live just a little out of comfort zone. Your mantra aligns perfectly with what I am always saying too. One more bite, one more step, one more deep spirometer breath, just a little more trying and you get better, stronger, and healthier than ever.

Sounds like you are doing great. I've been following what you post because I will be having the David Procedure as Plan A. Of course when they go in we might have to go to Plan B which would be a valve replacement. It's nice to read how active you are post-surgery. Great work!

Latest posts

Back