8 1/2 months post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Cavanaugh

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site but have been viewing it for sometime since my AVR surgery November of 2011. I had an edwards porcine valve implanted. Over the last couple of months I have felt unsually tired and my workouts have decreased in intensity for the most part. I run throughout the week and 3.5 miles post surgery was fine but now I have trouble getting up to 3.0 miles. I go in to see the cardio next week but I thought it would be beneficial to see if any of you have experienced this kind of tiredness this far into recovery? I'm 22 yrs old and had my surgery when I was 21.

Also, I do have hypothyroidism but my levels are normal as of now.

Thanks,

Ryan

Well Ryan:

I am a little older than you (a little over twice your age) but have also has a similar experience. I am 20 months post op for an aortic root repair and I still have my bicuspid aortic valve. I used to be able to do 20 to 30 miles a day on roller blades, now I struggle to get 10 in. Very low on energy and drive.

Do you ever get dizzy or winded particularly when bending over?

I too go to the cardio next week, please let us know how it goes. My guess is that we are heading for a Echo or perhaps even a stress test. My cardio really seems to like doing stress echo's with me because I tend to bitch a lot about the radiation of the CT Stress test.

Ryan, I have had a similar experience. Pre op I was running regularly and asymptomatic, I was looking forward to improved fitness levels after (I thought!) a couple of months expecially as my BAV was in poor condition. My fitness post op was almost zero and as for running.... I have had to start from scratch. Pre op fitness will and did help deal with the traumatic impact the operation has on the body. However the heart will need a long time to effectively reconfigure itself with the altered flows of the new valve. I had an dilated left ventricle therefore my heart also had to recover its 'normal' size & shape. Not only does the heart beat as we commonly see it simply contracting, it also has a complex twisting motion axially (so my cardiologist explained much more eloquently). This axial movement has been altered because of the valve replacement and the collar it sits in. Over the last ten months I have gradually increased my walking to walk/jogging through jog/walking and now running. I have had setbacks (a pulmonory embolism) and sometimes tiredness which is frustrating however the bad times pass. I am progressing and I am sure you will to. I hope your tests are all good and I wish you well in your fitness regime.

Back