73 And Scared

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movieman

I've been reading these pots for a while and now my time is here. 73 and scheduled for aortic root and valve replacement, plus a bypass, at the end of next month. My symptoms of fatigue/weakness, rapid pulse, chest discomfort, etc. are more frequent and severe. I've been to the ER several times over the past couple years with what turn out to be false alarms ... now that a date is set, I worry that I won't last long enough.

Most posts I've read seem to be from people much younger than I am ... any advice from other senior citizens that have been down this road?

Hi Movieman and welcome. I think you will find the folks here to be on the younger side. There is a USA group called "Mended Hearts" that is made up of older folks......like us. Mended Hearts has local chapters in many, many US cities and their website is directed to the older heart patients.....as that is the bigger market for valve surgeries and bypass procedures.......do a search. However, there is a lot of good advice on this site. I actually had my surgery much younger than you but I have learned MUCH from this group.

I've been reading these pots for a while and now my time is here. 73 and scheduled for aortic root and valve replacement, plus a bypass, at the end of next month. My symptoms of fatigue/weakness, rapid pulse, chest discomfort, etc. are more frequent and severe. I've been to the ER several times over the past couple years with what turn out to be false alarms ... now that a date is set, I worry that I won't last long enough.

Most posts I've read seem to be from people much younger than I am ... any advice from other senior citizens that have been down this road?

Welcome to the forum. I’ll flag down our good friend @Superbob and see if he can help calm your nerves. He had his second surgery not too long ago and I believe he has a few years on you. I believe he’s 80 now, but was perhaps 78 or 79 the last time he went in?

What age is considered a senior down there?
it depends on your frame of reference, but 67 is the age at which a person is granted the aged pension (if they meet the personal asset tests)

https://www.dss.gov.au/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension
Means Test Qualifications
The Age Pension is subject to an income test and an assets test. Pensioners are paid under the test that produces the lower rate of payment.

The social security system uses deeming to assess income from financial investments. Deeming rules provide a simple and fair way to assess income from financial investments for social security and Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) pension and allowance purposes. From 1 January 2015, the deeming rules were extended to include account-based income streams.

Two weeks away from two years and hiked UP to the Hollywood sign yesterday. From here...
IMG_6040.JPG

To here..

IMG_6083.JPG

(That's the sign in the background.) Very easy/peasy. Turning 70 in a few months.

Bravo!...............Why did I think you were in NYC?

Thanks, you are very on your way. (Told ya its bark is worse than its bite... specially a few weeks down the road when the med-induced amnesia can fool you into thinking, "That wasn't so bad.") We lived in the East Coast for three different go-rounds over the decades, the most recent 2010-2013 when I was f-t at CNBC. But other than that, since 2000 in San Diego.

I met with the cardio here at the rehab and I leave next Wednesday . I asked him what my restrictions were and he said none with the exception of limited stress on the sternum for another two months.I will confirm that "no restrictions" with my other cardio.. i do notice differences in my heart behavior: walking up hills is noticeably easier and at a lower BPM; Where I would hit 135 ,I am now at 112 but my resting heart rate/sitting at the computer is low 70s( max low 55) VS low 60s ( max low 46)..........it might drop if I stopped watching it all the time......................

Thanks, you are very on your way. (Told ya its bark is worse than its bite... specially a few weeks down the road when the med-induced amnesia can fool you into thinking, "That wasn't so bad.") We lived in the East Coast for three different go-rounds over the decades, the most recent 2010-2013 when I was f-t at CNBC. But other than that, since 2000 in San Diego.
Thanks, Biz!!

I met with the cardio here at the rehab and I leave next Wednesday . I asked him what my restrictions were and he said none with the exception of limited stress on the sternum for another two months.I will confirm that "no restrictions" with my other cardio.. i do notice differences in my heart behavior: walking up hills is noticeably easier and at a lower BPM; Where I would hit 135 ,I am now at 112 but my resting heart rate/sitting at the computer is low 70s( max low 55) VS low 60s ( max low 46)..........it might drop if I stopped watching it all the time......................

I'm really looking forward to my echo in 2 wks. My bp was difficult to control before, a bit easier now. My resting was always crazy low, and remains pretty much the same. The docs suggest it's just who I am. Immediately post-surgery the one thing I noticed was large kathumps of my heart that were never there before. That settled down, now I hear and feel it every now and then. Then again, pre-surgery I had a unicuspid valve, so nothing really to kathump! Cheers, Herb

Turning 70 in a few months.
firstly great stuff, next ; is it me or is air quality improving in LA (haven't been there since the 80's)

god ... 70 ... what'll I do with another 12 years.

maybe explore new things and develop stuff as I've done before. Dunno

firstly great stuff, next ; is it me or is air quality improving in LA (haven't been there since the 80's)

god ... 70 ... what'll I do with another 12 years.

maybe explore new things and develop stuff as I've done before. Dunno

Re LA Air - probably improved, but it's also winter so no smog to bump up against the hills. This day was very foggy early, and lifting when we were up higher.

70 is the new 58!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back