7 year old bioprosthetic aortic valve - clot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I am pro-Science & not an anti-vaxxer, the vaccines are correlated with problems for some. This is a recent paper on very rare occular problems. Note that having Covid can also cause similar problems. The odds for a different etiology (such as many brought up by other replies) would be more likely, but it is not impossible for a correlation with a vax or covid. There is a need for more research on all the pandemic complexities. Glad the event was temporary, but always good to learn as much as possible. Rare ocular side effects have been noted after COVID-19 vaccination
Not one of the reported effects were a transient retinal artery occlusion. The vascular closures that have reported with vaccines were primarily venous in the brain. Totally different.
Finally the report that was quoted pointed out that having these issues with the vaccine may have no association with causality.
One could write the exact article and substitute having Chinese food for vaccination. Everyone of the things mentioned occur all of the time. Not because of eating Chinese food. Or maybe they do?
If there was a sudden unexpected large number of events such as artery occlusion then a association might exist. This has not been seen with vaccines.

This may be of interest:

" Researchers have now found that about 15 percent of all bioprosthetic aortic heart valve patients develop blood clots on the leaflets affecting valve opening,."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151005151210.htm
Several months back a member posted that his surgeon had suggested that once a valve becomes calcified that it is more likely to, in his words, "throw a clot".

At your young age, it would not be surprising if there is some calcification at this point, 7 years out, that has formed on your bioprosthetic valve. I expect that your medical team will know a lot more once they get the results from your echo.

Hoping that this was an outlier occurence and not something that happens again for you.

Please keep us posted of the findings.
I had an echo done today and my valve is perfect. No calcification, no regurgitation (nothing more than there had been since day 1). I had a contrast injected to better look at ejection fraction (first time for that with an echo). 2 cardiologists and the tech all agreed that my valve and heart were "un-remarkable". So while the valve could be creating clots, there was nothing detected today to indicate it is in a state that it is creating clots ongoing.

Back