6 pack of beer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

Ok, it's been a couple of months since my surgery. I'm getting ready to go back to work.
I have a couple of buddies that are in town ,and while there was beer in the house yesterday , I joined them and drank 6.
I take Warfarin because of a newly installed Aortic heart valve. It's the first alcohol ive touched since surgery.
ive read that alcohol increases the affect of Warfarin . My question is , should I skip a dose to possibly even my level out?

Hi Jimmyk. Personally I wouldn't change my dosage and as long as this isn't a daily occurrence I would doubt you would have much to worry about. That said everyone is different. I guess it also depends on the alcohol content of the beer.

I home test my INR and I also have an idea of how much alcohol I can handle before my INR is effected. (I have another post here on my little experiment)

Even with a rise in INR due to the alcohol it will likely return to 'normal' in a few days

No don't skip a dose. I don't know what therapeutic range they have your INR set to be, but it's best to be to high at your next reading than too low. Everyone is different but I've found that alcohol has very little affect on my INR if any at all. Doctors will tell you to stay away from alcohol completely if your on warfarin but I doubt many of them who say so are on it themselves. Otherwise they would better understand how it works. With time you'll figure out better how thing like diet and alcohol affect your regular readings. If you eventually get a home test kit all the better since you won't have to guess if things have affected your INR because you'll be able to test and see. Don't worry, I think you're fine even after a sixer.

Barney_Gumble.png

Agian;n878304 said:
PS Don't sweat it. You'll be fine.

Agreed

I drank like a fish in Prague and my INR was only up to 3.4 after a week of beer
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/fr\/cp0\/e15\/q65\/17311041_10155130513252498_3027825672158768608_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4f203ce39369ae5f096ed267f030c510&oe=59EDAD06"}[/IMG2]

does anyone eat herbs such as fenugreek , ginger , garlic , turmeric , cumin ? is there any evidence they affect warfarin ?

Funnily enough, my INR seems to be effected by Garlic - I had a big meal of pasta and garlic bread. I had heaps of garlic and I probably stank! Anyway, two days later I noticed an increase in my INR of around .5 when doing my weekly test. I ate a similar meal a few weeks later and tested 2 days later and once again, an increase in INR.

Could be coincidental or possible something else in Italian food I've overlooked but garlic seems to have some effect on INR for me.

Ryanvs;n878441 said:
Funnily enough, my INR seems to be effected by Garlic - ...
Could be coincidental or possible something else in Italian food I've overlooked but garlic seems to have some effect on INR for me.

Fascinating

Have you considered red wine? (Or did you have none?)

Seems worthy of experimentation (just for the eating pleasure if nothing else)

Have you considered trying garlic with something else?

I have a recipe of garlic, fish, shallots, some sesame oil and oats (yes, as in porridge, but not instant oats, full grain rolled oats). Want to give that a whack?

No red wine - possibly other herbs maybe?

True - I love pasta. Probably a good point, try Garlic with something else and see what happens.

I'm actually not a huge fish eater but thanks anyway. I'm sure I can find something else with garlic though.

Ryanvs;n878443 said:
True - I love pasta. Probably a good point, try Garlic with something else and see what happens.

that was the main point ... try garlic with something else.

Myself I suspect "coincident" INR change not causal relationship with Garlic .... but test it ... and 0.5 INR isn't enough to make me walk away from a good Cabonara ... ****, now I'm hungry

Ryanvs;n878446 said:
... I'm yet to find anything that really effects my INR.
come to Prague with me next spring ... I'm sure we can find something ;-)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/17498739_10155130513252498_3027825672158768608_n.jpg?oh=dc229b154e6523b87901bed452175fed&oe=5A362062"}[/IMG2]

and they've got really *good* garlic and paprika sausage too!! Huge and just $3 (with sauerkraut)

Ryanvs;n878446 said:
Oh, definitely not. a 0.5 increase puts me at 2.8 instead of my usually consistent 2.3. I'm yet to find anything that really effects my INR. Well, enough to worry me anyway.

cranberry juice with raw kale salad

ashadds;n878440 said:
does anyone eat herbs such as fenugreek , ginger , garlic , turmeric , cumin ? is there any evidence they affect warfarin ?

I do (see my recently posted recipe), often enough, I have observed nothing in my weekly measurements

It's funny that I happen to look at this post ,and the topic was garlic.
My grandfather used to swear by garlic. He says it was better than antibiotics.
While getting my level tested at the Coumadin clinic, I mentioned it to the nurse performing the test. We were also talking about foods not to eat while taking Coumadin . As far as garlic, when I feel a cold coming on or an earache or some other ailment , I'll eat raw garlic. The nurse told me that garlic has no affect on an INR level. Today I ate 3 tablespoons of minced garlic. Tomorrow I'll check my level at let you know.

I ate 3 tablespoons of minced garlic yesterday , which my grandfather has always used as a natural antibiotic. Whenever I feel a cold coming on, a sore throat, or various other ailments ,raw garlic seems to kill any bacteria .
As far as it changing my INR reading, the thought never crossed my mind.
After reading the topic on garlic, I thought I'd test myself today.
Results, it had no effect whatsoever on my reading.
I was tested a week ago today at a 2.8 today it was still at 2.8.

My doctor has me on 10mg daily, my inr kept climbing from 1.8, 2.3, 3.0, 3.8. my nurse told me to eat salad daily, which I really enjoy.
today my INR was 3.6, I guess I can keep my high Coumadin doze and my green leafs.
she also said if I were thinking of drinking to eat a big salad the same day and the should cancel each other out.
BTW, I am new to this, just started my blood thinner journey last week after being DC from the hospital.

Latest posts

Back