6 months post-surgery today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebird

Just wanted to give an update that today marks 6 months since my aortic valve and aneurysm surgery last August. I happened to see my cardiologist this week and she said my recovery was amazing, in the top 1%. This surprised me and I'm so grateful.

Since I was asymptomatic, I've really felt no different than before. The only difference I've noticed is a marked increase in ocular migraines, from about 15 during the four months before surgery to about 30 in the four months after surgery. Cardiologist says there's no connection. And of course this topic has been covered ad nauseam in these forums.

I must say, my personal challenge has been largely mental. Maybe it's due to the increased migraines, but I've developed a sense of feeling more fragile than before. I'm hoping my doctor's 1% comment will finally convince me that I'm fine! The mind will allow you to ruminate on the wrong stuff if you don't train it well. For this my meditation practice has really helped.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has shared their stories on this site. It helped me greatly. I learned the lead-up was way worse than the surgery and I'm currently learning that everything is ok!

Great news. You are doing fine! You now know your choices were good ones!

You may be feeling more fragile due to your subconscious. I had some weird emotional feelings after surgery (e.g. crying at movies and funerals). I personally believe our subconscious was freaked out by the heart/lung stoppage for 5 hours. Your animal brain knew you were "dead" and is now wary and overprotective. Just the ramblings of an old fool...:)

Having been through all of this, your theory seems plausible. Fortunately it’s not debilitating and I’m sure it will improve with time, as my brain continues to experience my good and durable health. I certainly don’t take it for granted and am grateful every day!

Latest posts

Back