6 months post op - questions to see if others experienced anything similar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartvalvefix

Hi All,
I have not posted since before my surgery as I had complications after and it was quite a while before I was on my feet again. A bit of background. I had a very odd case of endocarditis that ruined my tricuspid valve. Even more odd as I had no risk factors. Cardiologist and surgeon figured that I had a defect on the valve since birth that I did not know about and that is how the bacteria were able to attack it. Had it replaced with a tissue valve on Feb 9th. They tired to repair it but it was too badly damaged. They started with a minimally invasive approach but unfortunately they could not finish that way (I was very tiny in terms of the space between my heart and sternum). I ended up with a thoracotomy and a sternotomy. Afterwards got a staph infection and needed 6 weeks of iv antibiotics - fortunately the new valve is fine and working well. Also developed heart block - 3rd degree and needed a pacemaker (another small surgery on April 7th). I was in the hospital for 61 days. I was warned that it would take a long time to recover from such a long hospital stay.
Current status - valve is fine, infection is gone and heart block is actually resolving. I am back in a sinus rhythm for the most part since July 9 and it seems to be getting more stable - so I made not need the pacemaker long term. I am starting to participate more and more in life. Walking my dogs in the dog park, playing some golf (though in a cart - don't have the energy to walk the whole course yet), going to yoga and mobility work out classes. Doing some light weight training. Going out for dinners etc. I am not on any meds. I am a 53 yr old female.

I am hoping that some of the members can give me some perspective on the following:
- after 6 months I still get stiff and a bit sore around the sternotomy after I work out. Not really pain, more like muscle stiffness and soreness. Not sure if this is normal or not?
- I find my biggest problem is fighting the fatigue. Some days I have energy and other days I am still really wiped out. I am eating well and getting lots of sleep. Not sure if this is a result of the long hospital stay and the loss of so much muscle mass? I was always a very high energy person so I find this very difficult. I certainly don't feel anything close to my normal self in terms of energy level.
- this may be completely unrelated but I feel like since the surgery I have noticed that I seem to have phlem in the back of my throat that bugs me. Could be completely unrelated but just curious if others experienced this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Heartvalvefix;n867647 said:
Hi All,
I am hoping that some of the members can give me some perspective on the following:
- after 6 months I still get stiff and a bit sore around the sternotomy after I work out. Not really pain, more like muscle stiffness and soreness. Not sure if this is normal or not?

the range of "normal" is large ... so its not uncommon. However it may be an indicator ... but then I am probably oversensitive on that point. I'd suggest you ask your Dr for a C-RP test and if its normal then all is fine.

- I find my biggest problem is fighting the fatigue.

that can persist ... it may also be emotionally related ...

- this may be completely unrelated but I feel like since the surgery I have noticed that I seem to have phlem in the back of my throat that bugs me. Could be completely unrelated but just curious if others experienced this.

I suspect that one is "coincidental" ... not correlated ... it could just be that your throat is sore still after being intubated. I seem to recall my own was "raspy" for months

Best Wishes

The chest stiffness/soreness doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm a very active guy, and was working out 5 days a week prior to surgery. I had to stop all the upper body activity after surgery and for some time after. At about 5 or 6 weeks post-op, doctor lifted the motion/weight restrictions, but my chest was so sore I couldn't get back into it. At about 6 months post-op, I decided that "enough is enough" and forced myself back to some light weights and low rep exercises. It hurt. It was just plain sore. Not mind-bending, searing pain. Just sore. I stayed with it. It didn't start to feel "normal" until I was almost a full year post op. . . but it most definitely DID get back to almost the complete "pre-surgery normal." Without my paying it any attention, by the time I hit the second year point, I was doing all that I was able to do pre-surgery, and then more.

Give it time. As long as the pains aren't life-altering, just try to do only as much as you feel comfortable with. Keep an exercise diary, noting what and how much you do and how it feels. Try to gently push your limits. As they told us in cardiac rehab (Did you get to do rehab? Mine was a great help.) - "You can't break it. As long as you feel OK, keep going."

As pellicle indirectly mentioned, fatigue can come from multiple causes. If your doctors find no medical reason for fatigue, maybe ask one of them to administer to you their standard questionnaire that tests for depression. Clinical depression is surprisingly common after heart surgery, and many patients ultimately only find relief with professional help (either "talk therapy" or meds). There is no stigma attached to this type of depression, as it is not a "defect" in your mind, but it is a common occurrence after major heart surgery. You can Google "depression after heart surgery" or search on this site, I'm sure there will be many references.

Latest posts

Back