6 months after operation still weak and catching cold/coughing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annette

I has been weak, tired for at least 10 days with low fever on and off ( 100.4 the most). I have a 3 colds and coughs in the last 5 weeks. I sleep all the time ( 18 hours a day). How all doctors seems to say that all is going fine. Lung , cardio and internist seem to say that all is good with blood tests and yes maybe immune system is still low...but I am worst then I was one month ago.
of course my immune system is low ( operation october 18, 2011 folled by lung failure, trach operation and 2 months on vent for rehab).
Drugs: accupril 25 mg
januvia 25 mg
prilosed 20 mg
lipitor 20 mg
warfarin 5 mg
lexapro 5 mg
metopolol xr 50 mg
blood pressure was very erratic but finally ok.
any comments? ideas?
thank you all.

It took me a year to fully recover from my first surgery, given how ill I was at the time. And I had a bunch of new meds to adjust to, which made me dizzy many a time. You may be like me, and need more time to recover. I know it's frustrating.

And yes, we ALL catch more colds and viruses the first few months after surgery. You sound like you had a rough time, and you are still run down. Hang in there.

I am one of those compulsive hand washers/ hand sanitizer users. I think it helps alot. I hope you fell better soon!

Scott........ not to be critical in any way but as a helpful hint, you can edit your posts. If at any time you notice something you would like to correct or change, in the lower right of the message box, there is a tab called 'edit'. If you hit that, you can make spelling corrections or any other changes you wish. Of course, only you (or a moderator) can make a change to your post.

OP........ I tend to agree with the others who advise it is possible you simply need more healing time. You've had a rough ride and your body is still recovering. I sincerely hope you feel better soon. If you do not and become less than confident in your doctors, by all means seek out another opinion. It is your body and you know best how you feel.

I has been weak, tired for at least 10 days with low fever on and off ( 100.4 the most). I have a 3 colds and coughs in the last 5 weeks. I sleep all the time ( 18 hours a day). How all doctors seems to say that all is going fine. Lung , cardio and internist seem to say that all is good with blood tests and yes maybe immune system is still low...but I am worst then I was one month ago.

What tests have been run?
I saw on your profile that you are retired or semi-retired. Which means you have the opportunity to have a more relaxing schedule than someone who is trying to recover from OHS while chasing down toddlers. So it's puzzling why you feel so weak and draggy.
Something is just not right. The on-off fever points to a possible low-grade infection or virus. I'm sure your doctors have run blood cultures for endocarditis and other infectious diseases.
Have you been given any antibiotics? If so, perhaps the antibiotics haven't been broad-spectrum ones.
This could also be a viral infection that has to run its course, but that avenue should be explored.

I understand how you feel physically and and how frustrating this is. My recovery seemed to be prolonged (at least 9-10 months), but I wasn't running fever on & off at 7 months post-op or having colds, coughs, sleeping excessively. I was working during the week, then traveling on weekends, sometimes flying, sometimes driving.

Keep poking your doctors to find the culprit. Perhaps a consult with an infections diseases expert is in order if you continue to have the fever and your other symptoms.

Ok JKM7. Thanks. My work computer wont let me edit. It only works from my home computer. But I can see how it's annoying.

Annette, have you been able to walk or exercise much? Just getting the blood flowing might help. I also agree with Lauri about the meds. I started to feel much better when the meds were cut back.

of course my immune system is low ( operation october 18, 2011 folled by lung failure, trach operation and 2 months on vent for rehab).
Drugs: accupril 25 mg
januvia 25 mg
prilosed 20 mg
lipitor 20 mg
warfarin 5 mg
lexapro 5 mg
metopolol xr 50 mg
blood pressure was very erratic but finally ok.
any comments? ideas?
thank you all.

Have you always been on statins, they are well known to cause some of the symptoms you describe as far as being tired and run down. I got off them and felt much better, just curious since it seems to be a med that is prescribed after heart surgery.
Hope you get better soon
Brad

Back