6 month update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvrkumar

Posting this thread to share my experiences. I am 6 months post-op now. Fortunately, recovery has been very smooth (touch wood). Life is back to normal within one month after surgery. Back to work by third week after post-op.

Cardio is happy with heart size remodeling at 2 month check, but not much improvement in EF and muscle thickness. He mentioned that we may see more improvement as time progress.

He put me on 1 year check-up schedule, but agreed to see me sooner than that to evaluate getting me off of beta blocker.

Warafarin management is surprisingly smooth. But, side effects of metoprolol is still an issue. I occasionally feel dizziness (2-3 secs) when getting up.

-kumar

Try to exhale when your getting up from a sitting position - dang metoprolol. Doc took me off that stuff about 6 months after surgery after complaining about the dizziness.

Good to hear everything else has been going well for you, hope it continues.

Good job, Kumar!

Another thing to consider with your cardio - depending upon the dosage of metoprolol you're taking, you may be able to reduce the dosage and keep the benefits. We cut my daily dosage from 100 mg down to 50, and the only thing I notice is that under heavy exercise load, I can run my heart rate up to the 160's. On the higher dose, 140's were my top. In all daily activities, no real difference to me.

Concerning metoprolol usage, what is usual. I see that some people don't take it at all after a few months, while others seem to be on it lifetime.

I kind of figured since my blood pressure was always good presurgery and seems to be the same after surgery that I probably wouldn't need to take it. I haven't asked cardiologist about it yet. But my sister( a nurse) says I'll take it for life even with good pressure as it should help lengthen valve life and reduce other complications. I asked my family doctor and he thinks the same, that its best to take it for life.

Personally, I don't think I experience any hardships or side effects from taking it. Is that the criteria maybe, continue taking metoprolol unless it causes problems?

Keep up the great work...don't forget, it is a marathon and not a sprint!

Scott

Latest posts

Back