6 Month Post-Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I celebrated my 6 month post-surgery anniversary with a 63 mile bike ride at 13.4 mph.! No, I’m not breaking any speed records but back in December I wouldn’t have guessed my Inspiris Resilia would have had me back this active this quickly. Since I was released to ride on February 28, I’ve logged over 1,080 miles on my bike and I feel like I’m almost back to pre-surgery fitness. My cardiologist and I decided to keep me on metoprolol since it was doing a good job on my blood pressure in addition to being a prophylaxis for what for now is a resolved afib issue. Interestingly, my body and heart have adapted well to the lower heart rate and I don’t feel it’s negatively impacting my cycling performance (such as it is!). My average and maximum HR on rides skews about 20 bpm lower than pre-surgery rides but the efforts feel the same at the same wattage and speed as they did before. Anyway, I hope the tale of a 71 year old with a good post-surgery outcome can give some encouragement to some of our younger active members concerned about what they’ll be facing post-surgery…..Bill

Wow! Very excellent and good to hear.
I chuckled when I read you did 1,080 miles since February. I don’t think I’ve driven 1,080 miles since February. Not heart related, just work from home.
You’re an inspiration to not only our younger members, but us old guys too.

That is super , I had a similar experience after my AVR . I broke my old time records by the 6th month.
But other parts of the body couldn't keep up with the heart, knees imparticular lol, now they are my focus. I was done in Feb 4 22

Latest posts

Back