5th surgery possible for long time member

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
BMDc, Brian to friends on VR, has asked that I post that he was rushed to Beth Israel Deaconess due to his heart failing. I am unsure what specific heart surgery looms, but he expects to know more after seeing the surgeon today. This would be number 5. Please keep a good thought or prayer that there is a good outcome whatever course of action is taken. Mary

This update from Brian explains more of what he's facing.Aneurysm possibly plural, what they found so far I'm told by PA was at base of aortic graft+ top of heart. My valve is sewn into graft, then sewed on heart. I don't know how I could have an aneurysm there! I hope to see surgeon tomorrow and get an explanation. EMTs refused to take me here, saying they were required to take me to the closest hospital. 11 hours later Cecy rode with me to Beth Israel Deaconess. Surgeon at other hospital said"We do heart valves, repairs and transplants all the time, but I've never seen a case like yours, and neither have the rest of my team." It will be a tough one, but I believe they will find a way to patch me up.

Brian's fiancé called tonight. There's a heart cath scheduled for Monday with surgery on Tuesday. The tentative plan is to replace everything (valve, aorta) and using a vein harvested from his leg, reconnect it all. I think it is considered risky but the best option. Prayers and good thoughts are appreciated.

been following (thanks to Duffey and others) on Facebook as well...certainly keeping our wonderful friend Brian in prayer as he faces this challenge the fifth time around. Sounds like he has a wonderful team there to give him the best possible care and prospects for making it to the other side of a steep mountain...

Wow - that's a handful to deal with. Brian - know that we are sending prayers and warm thoughts your way. If you're at the Deaconess hospital in Boston, you have some wonderful, great doctors there. I flew out there a few months ago for a consultation on another condition, and couldn't ask for better docs.

Back