5k in under 30 minutes!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it’s not fast, but turning 50 in a bit over a month and with two open heart surgeries under my belt, I’m happy to be able to break 30 minutes on a 5k still. Working on building distance. Only 4.5 miles the past couple weekends. Plan to stretch to 5 miles this weekend. We shall see.

Anyone else running these days?
Brilliant ! Fair play , that must feel great. I haven't ran at all since late 2019. Used to run 3 or 4 times a week. 7 weeks post op and stress test for rehab is on Tuesday. Can not wait to get moving... Keep on running 🏃‍♀️

When I was younger and until the age of 25 I was quite an active athlete, I played basketball and did judo.
Every day I did circular and heavy training. However, I never counted years, it was enough for me to be in good shape, the years went by, family and work kept me away from sports, but not far from exercise like this here and there for several years, which I do consistently and I hope to do it for many years, I still have to walk 5-6 kilometers every day at a fast pace of about 6 kilometers per hour every day whether it's raining or snowing or the wind is blowing cold.
My goal is not to make good times because the b blocker does not help me in this, it is enough for me to be able to be in good physical condition without injuries,Sometimes I go to the gym and get on the tatami for a 3-minute round.

Went for a one hour jog (I’m not to runner status) Sunday. Managed 5.77 miles in that time. Not quite the same pace as my 5k, but I needed it to last a lot longer. Credited with a 10’ 19” mile pace on average. I tend to get progressively (regressively?) slower as the miles add up. I was under 10 minutes for the first two anyway. Most distance I’ve covered jogging in a few years.

I'm working toward a sub-30 5K. I was hoping to do it at a turkey trot, but not there yet after surgery on June 1st. Too proud to have a slow race on my "permanent record," so I'll hold off and keep training. :)

I was in much better shape after my first surgery five years ago. I ran a 26 min 5K four months after surgery, probably too soon. I was on a lower Metropol dose then, at 12.5 twice a day. I've been on 37.5 twice a day until last week, and it's been killing my training, maybe what the doc had in mind. It's down to 25 twice a day now, and I feel like I can finally run.

@Superman, be careful about injuries. It sounds like your last run was both long and fast. Try not to do those together. Long and slow one run, then short and fast another is safer. Too many old guys like us (I"m 56) get injuries and never run again. Also, I never run two days in a row to preserve my joints to keep running into old age.

I still have visions of breaking 20. My PR of 20:25 was almost 20 years ago. LOL.

Last edited:
Does it really matter if it’s at 71 vs stretching it to 72?
interestingly I've had 90 year olds pass me on the XC ski track, up hills.

I've mentioned this to my friends (who ski at higher levels than me) and they've said "yes, we all hate those bastards"

So, depending there are people who for whatever reason at 70 are harder hitting longer running tough guys then we ever were.

Just sayin

interestingly I've had 90 year olds pass me on the XC ski track, up hills.

I've mentioned this to my friends (who ski at higher levels than me) and they've said "yes, we all hate those bastards"

So, depending there are people who for whatever reason at 70 are harder hitting longer running tough guys then we ever were.

Just sayin
I might not have been clear. I was responding to someone who was using a bit of caution with the thought of getting their tissue valve to last longer. My point was to ask if that really mattered. If they have to intervene in the future I don’t see that one more year makes much of a difference, so they should go out and see what they can do!

I’ve moved to the treadmill now. Getting colder here.

C996CD77-68BD-4CCC-AAE0-0A848F3DF41B.jpeg

It’s all melted, but we topped out at 23 inches of lake effect a couple weeks ago.

Hi

I might not have been clear. I was responding to someone who was using a bit of caution with the thought of getting their tissue valve to last longer.
no, probably me not reading carefully ...

I’ve moved to the treadmill now. Getting colder here.

View attachment 888928

It’s all melted, but we topped out at 23 inches of lake effect a couple weeks ago.
it was 32C here today ... I could have lain in that for a while ... but just seeing it did me good.

but really ... where is my angryface ... I've been bad ... no wait, its not consistent is it ... ahh I've answered my own question

thanks ;-)

ya got me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back