54 years..........but who's counting!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a computer journalist, I asked some experts about this, and they claim that they've got some ways to get around that limit. Maybe 2038 won't be that bad, after all.
2 to the 31 — many systems keep track of time as seconds since January 1, 1970 (“Epoch time”), and older systems use a signed 32-bit integer. Modern 64-bit systems don’t have a Y2038 problem. It’s all the 32-bit systems that we have to worry about (embedded systems and old computers), but they’ll probably mostly get cycled out in the next 16 years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Y2K did indeed cause problems, but the computer industry spent a lot of time and money making sure the outcome wasn’t truly catastrophic. In all seriousness, I suspect the Y2038 problem will turn out similarly, with the time we have to prepare.

I like to joke about the Y2038 problem because it the deadline is right around a plausible retirement date for me — I’ll be 67 in January, 2038. In reality I find it hard to imagine retiring so young.

I remember a couple of years after my St Jude I was leaning into a machine with an associate to do some repairs. He said, "Is that your watch ticking? No it's my heart!" LOL Congrats on 54

Back