51 years and still clicking!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dick0236 , 51 years on your valve, or any medical device is great. What else is great is your contribution to this forum and you Your visiting heart surgery paitents. Your a special individual.

Reactions: Eva
pellicle;n884761 said:
Hi
Wikipedia as it happens has a good range of pictures

Thanks for posting the pictures Pellicle. My "hunt and peck" knowledge of computers does not allow me the ability to forward this kind of info.

We think the picture in the middle is probably the valve I have. Interestingly, my old surgical record does not identify the valve except to say "a #9 Starr-Edwards valve was sown into place".......no mention of serial or model number although the #9 does indicate the size (23mm)......and the valve manufacturer had no record of the implant many years later when I attempted to get an ID card. Only after getting my surgeon involved (fortunately he was still alive) did Edwards Lifesciences issue me a wallet ID card. The ID card lists the model number as "UNK-STARREW" and s/n "UNK-178". I think "UNK" stands for "UNKNOWN". One of the things I stress with the valve patients I visit with in the hospital is to be sure they get a permanent ID from the manufacturer of their valve and not rely on the temporary card they get from the hospital. I actually went about 42 years before needing an ID card and was refused a test because I didn't have one.....needles to say, it was a pain in the A-- to get an ID card that long after the fact.

Last edited:
Hi
dick0236;n884766 said:
Thanks for posting the pictures Pellicle. My "hunt and peck" knowledge of computers does not allow me the ability to forward this kind of info.

you're welcome :)

... Only after getting my surgeon involved (fortunately he was still alive) did Edwards Lifesciences issue me a wallet ID card. The ID card lists the model number as "UNK-STARREW" and s/n "UNK-178". I think "UNK" stands for "UNKNOWN". One of the things I stress with the valve patients I visit with in the hospital is to be sure they get a permanent ID from the manufacturer of their valve and not rely on the temporary card they get from the hospital. I actually went about 42 years before needing an ID card and was refused a test because I didn't have one.....needles to say, it was a pain in the A-- to get an ID card that long after the fact.

interestingly I don't think we do this in Australia, and yes, I think we should because I have had MRI scans refused because the overly cautious receptionists refused to make a booking because I have a metal valve in me (of course they think in their own minds they have multiple qualifications in advanced materials sciences).

It would have saved me a hassle when I needed an MRI on my knee...

FredW;n884764 said:
dick0236 , 51 years on your valve, or any medical device is great. What else is great is your contribution to this forum and you Your visiting heart surgery paitents. Your a special individual.

agreed! Would that I lived anywhere near a cardiac hospital I would be moved to do the same.

Thanks, pellicle! You also had some great info about the Coagucheck that I relied on until I got comfortable with that. Great to have all the awesome minds on here!

pellicle;n884767 said:
Hi

you're welcome :)

interestingly I don't think we do this in Australia, and yes, I think we should because I have had MRI scans refused because the overly cautious receptionists refused to make a booking because I have a metal valve in me (of course they think in their own minds they have multiple qualifications in advanced materials sciences).

It would have saved me a hassle when I needed an MRI on my knee...

Sorry for the hijack..

As a matter of interest St jude actually list their mri safety specs on their website
https://www.sjmglobal.com/en-int/pa...2a04194f:cadddb93-fcc4-47f2-8ceb-fd88f01ca17f

I recieved an id card from them about a month after my op with my model number and chasis..er...serial number printed on it

5hit a brick, three times of trying to put MRI safety data on valves and three unapproved posts

if anyone wants it email me

This is just amazing, Dick! I hope you prove them wrong for a VERY long time.
Thanks for all your input and support on this forum.
You are an inspiration!

Latest posts

Back