5 Year "Rossiverary"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...time to end this slobbery, touchy feely, feel good thread by thanking everyone that stopped by to congratulate me and wish me well. Also thanks to anyone or everyone that might drop by later to do the same. We're in a weird weather pattern here in NC and I work at a golf course. We had about a week of beautiful weather the first week of March and we were really busy. Then we had 5 straight days of all day on and off rain, and now we are looking at another long stretch of weather with no rain in the forecast and temps at or above normal. Now that the time has changed, if we have a busy day I might not get home until 10PM. Then the dog gets first priority to go outside and play, then dinner, then a shower, and then I might get a chance to sit down at the computer and surf the web for an hour before I have to go to bed. Because of everything mentioned above, I might not post for a couple of weeks and then I might have the chance to post several nights in a row.

Again thanks to everyone for helping me celebrate. If you are ever traveling through central NC send me a PM and I will buy you a real cold beverage (or hot) of your choice.

Bryan

Happy 5th Rossiversary, Bryan!

Thanks Mary! And thanks for showing me how to spell Rossiversary. :D

I'm not even going to bother fixing it in my post...I think I might have had an adult beverage or two before typing that post.

Hey Bryan,

A bit late as usual, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! And, GOOD LUCK.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Do I really feel the way I feel?" ... Marc Cohn ... 'Walking In Memphis'

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and congratulations. I'm feeling a lot better after having several days to digest the information I got and the advise given here. The BP medicine my cardio put me on is already making somewhat of a difference. It's not perfect but it's down considerably from the day of the appointment. I've noticed that when I take my BP in the morning it's consistently around 10 points higher than when I take it in the afternoon or evening. I usually wait about an hour after getting up to take it but it's still around 145/95. When I take it in the evening it's around 130/85. But then again I'm not much of a "morning person". :D I've also noticed that when my BP is higher my pulse seems to be lower and when my BP is lower my pulse tends to be higher. It reminds me of my golf game...when I'm hitting it good I'm putting bad and when I'm putting good I'm hitting it bad.

If you ever figure out the BP thing, let the rest of us know. Mine was always high until I had my GI bleed. Now, it's low and stayed that way ever since. I have a feeling that the Doctors don't know yet, what all is responsible for controlling it.

Just a quick update. I did NOT have my MRI yesterday. It appears that I have a 1,750.00 deductible I must meet before BB/BS will be so generous to start paying 80/20 percent of the cost. For the year I have paid two 50.00 copays, so I would owe 2,000.00 to have the MRI. Duke would have been generous enough to allow me to make 12 monthly payments of 210.00 a month for 12 months. Yep that's right...they would charge me 20% interest to pay monthly charges. I got in touch with my cardio and asked her how critical it was to have the MRI and she said that they would really like to get an accurate reading on my dilated aortic root but that it could wait until my next annual appointment assuming I'm not having any symptoms. She asked me to come back in a month for a followup appointment. I'm guessing she will also want another echo done but with one by their most experienced echo tech (which I could tell the girl that did my echo on the 10th was not).

On a brighter note, the amlodipine seems to be making a dent in my BP. It's still kind of high in the morning, but tonight I got a reading of 121/72 with a pulse of 82. The problem is that my followup appointment is on May 5th at 8:30AM when it's usually at it's highest. Hey I just had an idea. Since it will be "Cinco de mayo" maybe I'll get up real early and have a few cervezas before I go it. :D

Friggin insurance companies. I'm paying 350.00/mo cobra payments and they want me to pay 2 grand for an MRI...screw them. If my condition gets worse and I need emergent OHS I'll let them cough up a couple hundred thousand dollars instead of the 1,500.00 they probably have contracted with Duke. I looked up my statement online and the echo I had on March 10th (which was covered by my 50.00 co-pay btw :rolleyes:) and BC/BS had a contract to pay Duke 350.00 for the echo, which retailed for 1,250.00.

OK...I'm done venting...now let's see what my BP is. :D

Sounds like my wife's insurance. Absolutely worthless unless something catastrophic happens and yet, you have to make nice premium payments for insurance that won't get used otherwise.

torpedo.jpg

I'm not sure how many internet forum users have heard of torpedoing a thread...but that's what I am doing. It means to dig up an old thread and bring it back to the top of the list of topics. What's funny is when people don't realize that it's an old thread and start commenting on it as if the thread just started. I just brought that up so everyone will know I wasn't "torpedoing" for sport.

:D

I just wanted to give a quick update of how things are going. I went to my followup appointment in April and my BP was still high, so my cardio increased my amlodipine from 5mg daily to 10mg daily. This increase has put me right in the "sweet spot" and my BP has been excellent since the increase.

In other news I've been dealing with an extremely painful right hip for over 2 years now. About a year and a half ago I went to an orthopedist, had physical therapy, and went to a chiropractor for a few months...but as soon as I stopped going the pain came back. After dealing with the pain for another year plus I decided to go to a different orthopedic group. After the doctor did his exam they actually took a complete series of x-rays (the first orthopedist didn't take any at all) and his diagnosis was arthritis in both my right hip and my lower spine at the L4 and L5 vertebrae. he wanted to do a (you guessed it :rolleyes:) MRI to get a better idea of where the pain was originating. I gave him my "sucky insurance...can't afford a MRI) story so he gave me a SI (sacroiliac) injection where he guided a needle using fluoroscopy and injected a mixture of lidocaine and cortisone into my sacroiliac joint. Unfortunately after about a week my hip pain was pretty much back to where it was. I had my followup this past Wednesday and he said in order to get to the bottom of where the pain is coming from we HAD to do a MRI. Unlike Duke though, once they got the "pre-cert" from BCBS they said they will only charge me what BCBS's agreed amount to pay the provider will be. They also will allow me to pay over 6 months with no interest. It's too bad that Duke wouldn't give me this same option. I've thought about asking the radiologist (who I met last Wednesday) if he might allow his techs to "unofficially" scan my aortic root when they are done with my back. I doubt he will considering the liability issues but it won't hurt to ask. After the MRI has been read...most likely I will receive a series of three epidural steroid injections. He thinks I have arthritic stenosis of the neural foraminae ( http://www.allaboutbackpain.com/html/files_links/spine_anatomy_foramina.html ) which is causing the bundle of nerves from the L4 and L5 vertebrae that come together to form the sciatic nerve to be pinched by the narrowing of the foraminae. This in turn is causing the pain in my hip area since the sciatic nerve runs right along the sacroiliac joint.

One really cool thing was that when I went in for my followup visit after my SI injection the nurse took my BP and it was 118/71, :eek: In a doctor's office no less. :eek:

Well...other than the aortic root dilation, the back/hip problem, and having no luck finding a full-time job with health benefits...things are going great. :D And I know that sounds kind of sarcastic, but actually I'm quite happy considering. But then again...since my Ross Procedure in March of 04 it really takes a lot to get me down these days.

Take care all,

Bryan

Wishing you a Happy 5th anniversary Bryan & so many more to come! Try not to worry or dwell too much on the reports --- sometimes we can worry ourselves sick & what for? --- it's out of our control anyway --- keep the faith -- God will take care of you! :)

Stay well!

I got the results from my MRI on Monday. My discs at L4 and L5 are bulging but not herniated. I have mild stenosis or narrowing of the foramen of L4 and moderate narrowing in both the L5 and S1 vertebrae. Right after the S1 vertebrae is where all of the individual nerve roots come together to form the sciatic nerve. So my pain in the arse is actually being caused by problems upstream of it. So now when someone calls me a pain in the arse I can tell them that I'm actually a pain in the lower back. :D

I will get a series or either 2 or 3 lumber epidural steroid injections and see if those will give me some long term relief. He also started me on Arthrotec which contains the NSAID diclofenac sodium (brand name Voltaren) and misoprostol (a gastrointestinal (GI) mucosal protective prostaglandin E1analog) which coats the stomach to reduce the GI side effects. This seems to really help on days where the pain is bad. I was taking 2 to 3 Alleve a day with marginal results and I'm only taking 1 of these a day even though it was prescribed for twice a day. Hopefully I will be able to stop taking it after the 1st epidural injection, because IMO long term use of NSAID's is not a safe way to relieve pain. Steroids aren't either but I need to try this method before considering the alternative (the "S" word).

One cool thing is that after they got the pre-cert from BCBS they only charged me the amount that BCBS had authorized to pay them (551.00). They also are allowing me to break that up into 6 monthly payments with no interest. It's a shame Duke wouldn't do this for me so I could have afforded to get the MRI of my aortic root. :rolleyes:

Anyway...no big surprises. My doctor pretty much nailed the diagnosis before the MRI...he needed to see exactly where the problem was before beginning treatment. Other than that I'm still looking for work and still playing as much golf as I can afford to. One good thing about having worked in the golf business for a long time at several different courses in the area is that I tend to get "a break" here and there on the price. :D

Well I have good news, bad news, and hopefully 2 more good news reports to make by the end of the month.

First the good news. I have had 2 spinal epidural injections at the L4/L5 region (2 weeks apart) and it has helped tremendously.

The bad news is that my COBRA insurance runs out at the end of the month and I still haven't found a job.

The good news that will hopefully be really good news after the procedures is that I'm closing in on my deductible so I have decided to have my 2nd colonoscopy that is over a year overdue from my last one. My dad had colon cancer so they started screening me earlier that the normal recommendation. Also since the colonoscopy will definitely put me past the deductible I am going to be able to have that MRI on my arotic root so the cadio can get an exact reading on it.

Well I'm going to try to dodge the rain showers and squeeze in a round of golf. I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July!

Bryan

The bad news is that my COBRA insurance runs out at the end of the month and I still haven't found a job.

Aye, very sorry, Bryan. Hope things work out for you....

Thoughts/prayers coming your way, of course.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Don't get me wrong" ... Billy Joel ... 'My Life'

Snap!

Snap!

Hey Bryan (& any others reading this),

Just noticed your post...glad you 'torpedoed' it up! When I read your first post of the results of your cardio visit, it was like a replica of what my husband Chris, has just gone thru. He had his 6th Rossiversary on May 13th and we saw the cardio last week for the check up. Chris' bloodpressure was 175/105...which is the first time it's been that high post surgery. And the latest echo showed that the dilatation of his aortic root was 4.4cm. (Is that classified as an aneurysm?) They don't seem that concerned with it though...next check up in 12 months. I'm not I feel completely comfortable with this so when we have our annual check with the surgeon in Dec, I will be having a chat about it. They do want to get the blood pressure down though, so if the reading is the same in a week he will go on coversyl as well as his usual beta blocker.

Anyway, it would be good to keep in touch and swap notes.
All the best with your insurance and job hunting...with a positive spirit like yours, any business would be lucky to have you!

Cheers,
Yolanda

One of the few good things about being retired military (Even though our healthcare is not free as promised) Tri care is not bad. I wish this rule was true for all medical . Here is how it works even though there is a $150 per person $300 per family out of pocket and a 20% copay up to a max of $3000 per year. However here is the kicker if they are a provider they must accept tricares usual and customary charges as full payment. Exampale they May only allow $430 for that $2000 MRI. amd you would pay any individual deduct. for your self plus 20% for an out patient proceedure. so you would pay about $225. By law they have to accept the $430 total. If they are not a provider they can only charge 15% extra $430 plus 15%.
Next month I will be elligible for medicare A&B and my tricare will become my suppliment so I will have no co pays then.

Back