5 Year "Rossiverary"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

Actually I'm a little late, but I had my Ross Procedure on St. Patrick's Day in 2004. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years already.

OK...now for some news. Before I say anything I want to respectably ask that not a single post has the word "I'm sorry" in it, because it could end up not as bad as expected and even if it is I won't be "on deck" for surgery unless things continue to progress. And even if I need to have surgery again I have no regrets and would do the same thing over again when I made my decision 5+ years ago.

OK...now that we have that out of the way, I had my annual ACHD cardiologist appointment one week ago. I have been under a lot of stress (as I assume many others have been as well), I was put on a new medicine by a medical professional that I probably shouldn't have been put on, I got 2 hours of sleep the night before the appointment, I was about to give my two week notice to my boss, and yadda, yadda, yadda. When the nurse took my blood pressure it was 180/110. :eek: The best reading they could get (2 tries by the nurse and 1 by the cardio) was 165/100. I might mention that I have a "slight phobia" of getting my blood pressure taken. Getting a shot...no problem. Need to draw blood...no problem. Need to put in an IV...no problem. Need to take my blood pressure...problem...especially if I haven't had it taken in awhile at a doctor's office. I also had my echo and it showed that my aortic root has dilated to 4.3cm. Two years ago the echo showed that I had a mild dilation of 3.7cm. Last year the echo showed that it had grown to 4.0cm. The cardio sent me back to get another reading from his most senior echo tech and he measured the entire root and reported that the absolutely highest reading he got was 3.8.

For my high BP I have been put on amlodipine 5mg. After a week of monitoring my BP my best reading (which was my latest reading today) was 138/82. On March 25th I go back to my cardio to see how the amlodipine is working for my blood pressure. On March 31st I'm having a MRI to get an exact measurement of my aortic root. The MRI could prove that I am having a significant trend towards an increased aortic root that could lead to re-surgery, or it could prove that that the tech that did my echo was not in the running for "echo tech of the year". My gut feeling is that it's somewhere in between the two. I'm almost positive the high blood pressure is not helping the situation. I'm not sure why I was taken off of the beta blocker I had been taking since the surgery when I went for my annual checkup 2 years ago, but I didn't argue with him because the beta blocker definitely made me feel sluggish (in more than one way :eek: ). Anyway after my MRI I should get some relief either way as I will know that things are better than I thought or I will know that I am trending towards a possible re-surgery (which would most likely still be a few years off).

My cardio said that besides the high BP and the aortic root dilation that everything looks great. :D

And to tell you the truth, physically I still feel great. My exercise tolerance is probably better than it's been since I surfed regularly in my early 30's (I'm 48 now).

So that's my update. The high BP seems to be quickly getting under control. The aortic root dilation could be something serious or it could just be a bad reading by the echo tech. The cardio even said that it's really hard to get an accurate reading on the size of your aortic root using an echo. The MRI on the 31st should set things straight one way or another. BUT...getting back to the beginning of the post...and IMO the most important part of the post...is that I have had 5 great years of heart health since my surgery on St. Patrick's Day of 2004.

So cheers everyone...have a cold one on me. :D

610x.jpg

Happy 5th anniversary, Bryan, and may the MRI on the 31st give you good results and you continue to enjoy your life with great heart health! :)

I hate it when technicians are not accurate...or why aren't they trained enough to be efficient and accurate. I am in a similar situation like yours and I am seeing my surgeon on Friday and will see what he says. I have the same attitude like yours too and I keep singing "Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, the fuure is not ours to see":).

Happy 5th anniversary, Bryan, and may the MRI on the 31st give you good results and you continue to enjoy your life with great heart health! :)

I hate it when technicians are not accurate...or why aren't they trained enough to be efficient and accurate. I am in a similar situation like yours and I am seeing my surgeon on Friday and will see what he says. I have the same attitude like yours too and I keep singing "Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, the fuure is not ours to see":).

Thank you Eva and great response. Having a 5th anniversary should be a happy time even if there is a bump in the road. I've finally learned through past experiences that it won't do me any good to worry about this unless they give me some type of news to worry about. And even then worrying about it won't help (not to say I wouldn't worry if they started mentioning the "S" word). But even then, it would give me the opportunity to jump on the On-X bandwagon. :D

Two years ago the echo showed that I had a mild dilation of 3.7cm. Last year the echo showed that it had grown to 4.0cm. The cardio sent me back to get another reading from his most senior echo tech and he measured the entire root and reported that the absolutely highest reading he got was 3.8..

don't be too worried yet about the echo. 3.7 or 3.8 or 4.0 ---- close
enough for echos and hand grenades. think about it, they're bouncing
sound waves off your innards, projecting on a screen, and then using
their mouse pointer to guesstimate the size of selected innard thingy.
you've also got the variables of the orientation of the sensor, how it's
held, how hard they're pressing, etc. the same tech using the same
machine on the same patient on the same day will get different readings
each time.

october - december last year, i had three echos, showed my aortic valve
effective area dropped from 2.5 in june, to 1.7 in october, stayed at
1.7 in november, then increased to 2.0 in december.

and then the 'real' echo (tte and tee, then an angio), done in india a few
days before avr showed the actual valve area was 0.6 :eek:

Congrats Brian, I'll echo Choudoufu's assessment. I don't beleive echo for any kind of solid conclusions. Maybe a TEE, MRI or Catscan, but not echos.

Have you decided what your going to do on your 10th? :D

I wouldn't spend a lot of time concerning yourself with the echo reading just yet. I was temporarily living in Atlanta and I had an echo reading on my left atrium done as I do every 6 months, It had been running in the 5 cm. range, and this one came back at 9.2cm!

Fortunately I knew just enough about that to know that if that were accurate I would be having serious symptoms! I called my cardio just as you are doing and after he was assured I was ok and not ready to fall on the floor, he told me to come back to New Orleans and have his echo person do it and sure enough it was in the right range. She showed me how that mistake could happen as she was doing the echo so don’t freak just yet. At least you and your team are on top of it. At the hospital where I got my crazy reading nobody even inquired to see if I was feeling funny or even followed up!

I read your post and I'm so........................................ going to wish you a very happy 5th valversary! ;)

Wishing you many many more!

Thank you Eva and great response. Having a 5th anniversary should be a happy time even if there is a bump in the road. I've finally learned through past experiences that it won't do me any good to worry about this unless they give me some type of news to worry about. And even then worrying about it won't help (not to say I wouldn't worry if they started mentioning the "S" word). But even then, it would give me the opportunity to jump on the On-X bandwagon. :D

Bryan,

I love your positive attitude....this is great...it reminds of what I read once in a book written to help worriers to worry less! if one has a problem and there is a solution to it...it is not a problem anymore and do not think of it; if it does not have a solution...one needs to forget it because worrying is not going to help...it will only steal the joy out of one's day and life :)

Proud of you...keep up the good spirit, hoping your MRI will show nothing.

Good news is the best posting on this sight. Glad to see you've reached five years. I hope you many more to come.

Thank you for the drink. Cheers to you

Congrats Brian, I'll echo Choudoufu's assessment. I don't beleive echo for any kind of solid conclusions. Maybe a TEE, MRI or Catscan, but not echos.

Have you decided what your going to do on your 10th? :D

Ross,

You'll have to be more specific...on my 10th what? :D But seriously...if I'm above the dirt 5 years from now there is a very good chance that I will be playing golf on my 10th anniversary, although I just checked and March 17th in 2014 falls on a Monday. so unless I'm still working at a golf course I'll have to ask for that day off in advance.

BTW Ross the answer I just gave was assuming I am still poor. If I make it to 10 years in good health and I somehow have no "budgetary concerns", the golf will happen in Las Vegas as will several other activities. ;) :D

I read your post and I'm so........................................ going to wish you a very happy 5th valversary! ;)

Wishing you many many more!

I really liked this post Karlynn. I think some of the old timers here probably understood my request more than others. When some "crisis" happened before my surgery or after (like all of the whining I did about my sternum), the "I'm sorry's" were comforting. And there are certain times when it's appropriate to show sympathy by expressing your sorrow for for the plight of another vr.com member. Don't ask me why, but for some reason I wanted to let everyone know that there is what seems to be a bit of an increasing trend in the size of my aortic root. But I also wanted to keep the thread upbeat since I have felt the best I have felt in a long time during the last 5 years. Well...actually maybe four and a half years. Once I got those pesky wires out of my sternum is when I really started to actually feel better than before the surgery...and it has been gradually getting even better over the years.

Thanks for the well wishes Karlynn...it means a lot to me. :)

HIGH 5 BRYAN and congratulations,many,many more
to celebrate and share with us.

zipper2 (DEB)

Back