48 hours later...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus52

Well howdy all. Had my valve replacement Thursday morning and all went well. Have a new 23mm OnX valve ticking away. First 2 days were pretty rough, mostly from the drainage tubes which were removed a few hours ago and now I'm feeling very normal. A few more days to stabilize a bit, getting my heparin shots and starting the warfarin. Hopefully get to head out in Tuesday or Wednesday. Definitely built it up to be way worse then it was.

Well howdy all. Had my valve replacement Thursday morning and all went well. Have a new 23mm OnX valve ticking away. First 2 days were pretty rough, mostly from the drainage tubes which were removed a few hours ago and now I'm feeling very normal. A few more days to stabilize a bit, getting my heparin shots and starting the warfarin. Hopefully get to head out in Tuesday or Wednesday. Definitely built it up to be way worse then it was.
Super news @Cactus52! 👌🏼 Welcome to the other side.
Sending good thoughts your way and the very best for the days ahead. ☀️

Very good to hear that you are on the other side! I view it as kind of like giving birth, doesn't seem so bad once it is all over. :) I hope the next few days are smooth and you are up and out of the hospital setting in no time!

I am continually amazed as to how quickly ya'll recover and go home these days. I agree about the drainage tubes.....their removal is one of the things I still remember from my surgery......altho I have read posts where the poster thought their removal was "a piece of cake". Maybe a few of us got a nurse who was having a really bad day.

Take it easy for awhile. Let your body dictate your recovery rate.

My advice about warfarin.....
.....take pill as prescribed. Get a seven day pillbox
.....test routinely. one to maximum four week intervals after your INR settle down.
.....do not micro-manage INR. try to stay in, or near, your range, without getting paranoid over the numbers.

Your post is certain to help a few of the new folks trying to get their heads around this surgery.

Thank you for the marvelous update. I'll be headed in on Wednesday as you'll be heading out. Your words give me comfort! I look forward to learning from your continued journey.

Glad to hear everything is going well. As long as you follow the doctors guidance on recovery, you will be back to feeling normal in no time at all.

John K

Welcome to the team! There is a lot of great guidance on this site for warfarin treatment, both with a clinic and self-testing. Glad you're already on this side of the OR and eager to get back to living life. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back