47 years(Aug 16, 1967).....and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
I had my annual checkup, number 47, with my Cardiologist today and these checkups seem to get a little more scary as I get older, I keep waiting for "the other shoe to drop" and for him to tell me that the valve needs replacing. His only comment was "I'll see you in a year for your next checkup". When I tried to tie his down as to how long the valve might last....he wouldn't bite and his only comment was....."these old Starr-Edwards valves were built like Sherman Tanks".

Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought the valve would last this long.....so, for those who have the newer generation of mechanical valves, when your doc tells you it will last your lifetime.....he is probably right.

Last edited:
Hi Dick
Absolutely amazing! I never had a choice when I had mine! Being 71 age, they didn't want to waste a 'mechanical' one! You will give tremendous hope to all the people that had/will have mechanical devices. Keep posting, and I wish you all the best of health.
See Ya
Brian

Congrats, Dick, and best wishes for many, many more years of ticking. Your experience should make everyone feel more positive about their own valve replacement. Thanks for being a role model for successful valve replacement.

Dick, What wonderful news for all of us with mechanical valves! Keep encouraging us!

Congratulations, Dick. I hope you have many more years of enjoyment of that valve! (You got it just three days after I was born.)

Your history gives a lot of us hope and comfort.

As a measure of the total years from your first surgery, you are getting closer to me all the time- you young whippersnapper! :)

I have to have a mitral valve replaced with a mechanical one soon. Dick, your post definitely gives me hope for the future! Incredible!

Sorry I missed this thread also!

Happy 47th anniversary to you, Dick and I wish you many more still to celebrate. Whatever you are doing, keep at it! :smile2:

Latest posts

Back