46 years, Aug 16,1967......ONE valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
In 1967 my docs told me that this Starr-Edwards heart valve would last 50 years. I'm pretty sure I didn't believe them, but I did "take it on faith" that it would extend my life beyond age 40....which was the age they told me I wouldn't make without corrective surgery.

I read with interest, and a little confusion, the arguments regarding valve choice, and frankly am very glad I didn't have to go thru that process. Ignorance can be bliss. As I remember, there where few choices, if any, among mechanical valves (and my surgeons made that decision without consulting me).....and the tissue valves where still on the drawing boards. FWIW, my PERSONAL observations regarding some of these arguments are:

"don't like blood thinners".....I've had only one problem (about seven years post op), and it has been a significant problem, during my 46 years on the drug.....and it probably would not have occurred had I not gone without my "pill" for a week while on vacation. There were a lot of unanswered questions about warfarin use in those days and I pretty much did whatever (some good, some bad) I wanted to do. Unfortunately, many medical professionals still seem puzzled about managing warfarin. Educational info and Internet forums like VR.org minimize the "dark ages" problems of the '60s and '70s regarding the use of warfarin.

"don't like taking daily pills"......me neither, but now that I am an old man, I take a small handful of them....and only one is warfarin. Live long enough and you will have to learn to tolerate "taking daily pills".

"I am too active to risk bruising or bleeding".....never been a problem for me and the only things I haven't done is "sky dive" (can't look out of a fifth floor window without fear of falling... LOL). or "run with scissors", although I have come close....there are a few others, but you get my point.

"I am willing to accept multiple surgeries".....REALLY???? I'm not. Based on what I read of current surgical procedures it hasn't changed a lot since my time on the table. Someday, valve replacement will be an easier surgery....but I doubt it will be as easy as "having your tonsils removed".

I am looking forward to being the first to get 50 years out of a single "valve job" and it is becoming increasingly more likely. Recently I had a conversation with my new cardio and, after looking over my past two yearly echoes, he told me that there has been little change and unless a problem occurs there is no need for an annual echo.....one every couple years should be sufficient.

Last edited:
Choice, sometimes we have too much.

We think we make informed choices but compared to the experts we know very little.

With all our focus on choice I wonder of we have lost sight of important points:
* have we lost trust?
* do we really know what's in our best interests, now and in the future.

I have pretty much always followed the advice of my surgeon, because I really don't know. When I was about 10 I had my first OHS to "repair" my bicuspid valve. I just was too young and my parents really didn't know a lot about it. Anyway, we all just trusted the doctors.

When I was in my late twenties I finally went to that checkup where they said "OK, its time to do the surgery". I knew it had to be some time. My surgeon told me he was going to use a human valve (I recall they were called differently then) and I wasn't really asked what I thought. If I had been I'd have deferred to Dr Stafford's judgement. After all he was the one who got me to where I was. I asked how long it would last and couldn't get a straight answer.

That valve lasted me nearly twenty years, it probably would have lasted longer if the aneurysm had not happened.

So now I have a mechanical. We discussed alternatives but in the cold light of analysis the risks of future inevitable surgery with a tissue did not match the risks I faced with a surgery in something under 20 years. At 48 I was fit and active and wanted to remain that way. I knew I would cope with anticoagulants and I have.

Essentially I have always trusted my surgeons and believe they know the factors that effect appropriate valve choice better than me.

Well sorry about the ramble ... Dick sort of started me on an idea I had already been thinking on.

Oh, and Dick, glad to hear your still clickin :) let us know on the date, we should organise a synchronised champagne toast :)

Dick ... I have enjoyed your post over the years and your calm voice of reason and sanity ... You have helped many here, including me ... I'm glad I "tick" and my non-obsession with warfarin has been largely possible due to your input to VR.org ....

Congrats on #46 my friend ... I lift my glass of iced tea to you and your Starr-Edwards :thumbup:

Dick ... I have enjoyed your post over the years and your calm voice of reason and sanity ... You have helped many here, including me ... I'm glad I "tick" and my non-obsession with warfarin has been largely possible due to your input to VR.org ....

Congrats on #46 my friend ... I lift my glass of iced tea to you and your Starr-Edwards :thumbup:

Couldn't have said it better myself (well said Sir Cooker)

Congrats to you Dick and may you go way past '50'.

Cheers!

Dick - It is just great to see you here all along with us. Your lengthy experience and willingness to share experiences with newer folks has gone a long way toward making many people more comfortable with the fact that they need this surgery and that it will make their lives better and longer.

Thank you for being one of us. May you prove that the original estimates for your valve life were very, very much lower than reality.

Congratulations Dick. Your story and participation made my choices and experience last year a lot easier. Keep up the good life.

When you're done with that valve some day, you should probably donate it to the Edwards museum. Congratulations!

When you're done with that valve some day, you should probably donate it to the Edwards museum. Congratulations!

I'm not sure Edwards Lifesciences is very interested in the longevity of a "mechanical valve" since their business is now built around "tissue" valve products. A few years ago, after being refused a chest MRI, I learned that I needed an ID card (they where not issued when I had the implant) showing that my valve was safe for a MRI procedure. After a lot of correspondence between me and Edwards I was able to convince them that I did have one of their valves implanted in '67, even tho the model or serial number of the valve remains unknown....my card reads: Model-UNK-STARREW, Serial-UNK-178-mechanical valve....so there are probably a number of these old valves still in use???? During our communications I offered to write my story for their "patient stories" on their website, but my offer was ignored. I suspect their disinterest had to do with their current marketing/manufacturing position in the "tissue valve" industry and they have little interest is promoting the longevity of mechanical valves.....even their own.

I'll bet you hit the nail on the head with this comment "they have little interest is promoting the longevity of mechanical valves.....even their own."

46 years is great. It would be good to know how many other 'UNK' valves are still clicking out there. It's a shame that there may not be records of everyone who was implanted with such a valve. (I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there WAS some record keeping so that the valve could eventually be submitted to the FDA for approval.) Of all the dozens (or more?) with the valve, it's good to see one person who is willing to share the experience.

For anyone who is considering mechanical versus tissue; and worrying about the strength of the valves and hearing the nightmarish folklore about the dangers of warfarin, you're a great example of how well these things can-and do-and continue to work.

It's great to have you here.

Dick, you were a big help to me when I went through my surgery a few years ago, and I am very happy to come back and share this anniversary with you. You are a fixture on the site helping the newbies as they think through their choices. I am also glad I went with the mechanical, and don't have near the issues with the warfarin or loud noises I was told to expect. Like everything in life, you adapt and move on!

Dear Dick--
Wanted to add my voice to the many who are applauding not only your longevity, but your sense of humor and compassion
as well! Your accumulated knowledge is evident in your every post; your approach to the subject matter and to the forum
participants is what brings a smile to my face every time I read your notes. This latest post makes me want to shout, "YES!!!
Listen to this man's wisdom, everyone!

I had been somewhat surprised at the number of writers here who have been so intensely concentrated on the warfarin issue
and, too, the choice of valve. Everything that you shared in this post, Dick, is absolutely on the mark. Thank you for bringing
a clear and calm voice to these discussions.

Congratulations to you on your 46th!

Dick,

Thank you for being such a positive and informative force here on this site. Congrats on 46 years and hope you keep "tickin" for 46 more. You are one kind and warm gentlemen.

Kim

Latest posts

Back