40 years of clicking and ticking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

Joann will celebrate her 40th anniversary this week. The aortic and mitral valves were replaced in December of 1971. The Starr Edwards valves were replaced in 1999 with Carbometics valves. 3 bypass and a root graph that was done at the same time.

How far have we come in the past 40 years. We were not told about coumadin. We were not told about the LOUD sounds of the Starr Edwards valves. We were not told about the risk of infection for dental procedures. We were not told about the risk of cuts, bruises, etc. due to the coumadin. We were not told about life expectancy. We were not told about the issues of rehab, fitness, infections, etc. We were not told about atrial fib or flutter. BUT JOANN SURVIVED!!!!!

In 1971 Joann weighed 88 lbs. The surgery was her only choice for life. We were getting close to the point of "no return". The recovery was difficult and slow. Her family doctor told us a few years later that he did not expect that she would survive. Gall Bladder issues required narcotics to control the pain while she regained strength. Getting rid of the medications and the gall bladder surgery was another difficult year in her life.

Joann survived and lives today. We have been in 48 states, most with our RV. We have been on many cruises in North and Central America. Most important, we have seen 3 grandchildren grow into wonderful men and women. Our middle grandchild is planning to attend medical school in another year, partially motivated by Joann's miracles. The oldest grandchild will start her Masters in Speech Pathology this fall after the July wedding. The youngest will start college this fall in chemical engineering, petroleum engineering, or environment engineering. We rejoice in their achievements as great students, great citizens, and good friends.

We hope that the story of Joann will provide encouragement to ALL OF YOU that will have valve surgery in the future or have had valve surgery. We give credit to Cleveland Clinic surgeons, the Cleveland Clinic cardiologists, our GREAT FAMILY DOCTORS. (all deceased except for our current physician). They all deserve credit for the life that Joann has been able to live. They were all very, very helpful. (Yes, it has not always be easy. Yes, she does get discouraged. Yes, she does believe that God has provided for her health)

Best Wishes for a great holiday season.

John Bos, written for Joann.

That is fantastic story. You are truly an inspiration to us all. Wishing you many,many more years of clicking and ticking!
This certainly deserves a celebration for you both. :)

Congratulations Joann, a double valve implant back then was a very big deal.....and John you are correct.....it really is a lot different now in how patients are kept informed and "in the loop"......although I am not sure I would like having to make a valve choice decision.

Your post brought tears to my eyes when I thought about how ill Joann must have been at the time of her first replacement. What an amazing story of faith and determination to live! Congratulations on this historic milestone and best wishes for many more.
Mary

Congrats on the 40 years, and what an amazing family/story. I pray my valves last 40 years,

This is what its all about kids. This is how its done. Thanks for sharing, you and dick0236 are truly forefathers and mothers in heart surgery. This is as real as it gets. My hat is off to all 3 of you.

Joann and John,

You both have been a true inspiration to me and to so many others here at vr.org. Our "heartfelt" (pun intended) thanks for sharing your experiences and for being here for us. May you both enjoy many, many more wonderful years together.

Wow, this is very encouraging. I can't even imagine what surgery was like 40 years ago, especially a double valve replacement. In some ways it must have been nice not knowing certain outcomes as I think there is far too much info that is wrong and discouraging on the Internet. However I'm grateful for the hugely improved INR monitoring, awareness of infection risks etc.

I'll look out for the 50th anniversary in 10 years.

Great story and I'm sure there are many others out there 40+ years on from their valve surgery.

Such an inspiring story. I will have to share it with Hannah. Joann is truly an inspiration - heart patient or not - truly an inspiration!

Wonderful

Wonderful

That is a wonderful life story with great memories John. The world of science and technology has advanced so fast that we are so fortunate, life expectancy has increased by 20 plus years on average in developed countries. Congratulations on her 40th anniversary!

Thank you for this encouraging experience and continued best wishes to you both :)

This is absolutely fantastic! How truly inspiring you are Joann!

And if my step-son Skyler gets 40 years out of his valves, that would be truly inspiring. He just had both Aortic and Mitral valves replaced last week at 12 years old.

I too look forward to your next valversary. Thank you for sharing your joy and experiences.

Latest posts

Back