4 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOS518

I just wanted to let everyone know I made it to the other side. I've had some hiccups with recovery low blood pressure which kept me in cardiac ICU overnight low potassium and initially my heparin drip didn't touch my PTT. Now I'm on the reguikar cardiac floor and my PTT is coming up and maybe I'll get rid of the hep rain drip tomorrow. They currently are letting me walk as wanted and chest tubes came out this morning thank the good lord. I had 1 scarey moment when they took my central line out of my neck. About 5minutes later I had a coughing fit and it masse my neck start bleeding all over. I thought I had torn my incision open thankfully I didn't just scarey.I obviously chose a mechanical and slowly but surely I'm getting used to my new clicking buddy and just hope my PTT and inr stabilizes and coumadin isn't to much of a challenge. Thanks to everyone for all the support pre op. I'll try to update when I can.
Sara

Great news Sara. Glad things are getting better each day for you. I can relate to a few bumps in the hospital stay also, but they seem to get straightened out real quick. You will be home real soon now. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you. I'm sure you will get used to the Coumadin routine real soon, should not be too much trouble for you. If you can get a chance to home test your INR, it really makes things a lot more convenient. I can relate to getting used to the ticking, makes it easy to check HR. take care.

Doug

I just wanted to let everyone know I made it to the other side.

good news :)

I had 1 scarey moment when they took my central line out of my neck.

yes, its a bit that way isn't it!

did you have a set of defib wires coming out of one of your drain holes too?

I did, and when they were pulled it was also rather weird.

I obviously chose a mechanical and slowly but surely I'm getting used to my new clicking buddy and just hope my PTT and inr stabilizes and coumadin isn't to much of a challenge.

my experience with the warfarin is that its not too hard to manage. I'm home testing now (after running parallel with lab testing for a bit). You can learn a lot about stuff just by keeping your own records.

:)

Good luck and God Bless you Sara. Hang in there and the recovery will go fine. There will always be a few bumps in the recovery road but you'll get through them. Get as much rest as you can and walk as much as possible. Isn't hospital food great!

Good to hear you're "one of us" now, Sara:) Don't sweat the Coumadin too much; obviously everyone is different but it really hasn't been a big deal for me. I recently started home testing and that eliminated the one annoying thing, namely having to detour to the hospital lab to get blood drawn regularly. I've had very few problems regulating my INR, and the supposed dangers associated with anticoagulation appear to be, shall we say, a little overblown. i look back at the info I was given when I left hospital and have a bit of a laugh at admonishments to never shave with a blade or use a toothpick ever again (and yes, I've cut myself shaving and miraculously lived to tell the harrowing tale lol).

Take care of yourself and be patient with your recovery, get used to a couple of new additions to your routine, and get back to enjoying life!

Congratulations. I agree with the sentiments from Gerrychuck. I too am now home testing and it is quite a relief to be more in charge of the information you get. The warfarin management has not been at all difficult to this point. I started exercising quite intensely and to date it has not adversely affected the INR results. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Back