4.5 Months after Aortic Valve Repair - Back to normal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirone

Wow, time went by so fast and I almost forgot about this forum, which by the way was a great help during several months pre- and postop.
Preop I spent hours reading reports. Especially positive reports from people in a similar situation as me were very encouraging. So let me share my thoughts:

- I was back to work part time after 2 months and then rapidly increased to full time. I've been working 60+ hours per week and feel as fit as before, even a bit better. The thought of having OHS in the future was quite a burden. Having the surgery done is such a great relief.
- My first intercontinental flight was after 3 months and no problem at all.
- Sleeping on my stomach for the first time after 3.5 months was just fantastic!
- The upper back pain was pretty nasty for about 8 weeks and then suddenly disappeared.
- At the gym I still feel some muscular pain in my chest when doing pecs. I'm still careful about that. But I've been pushing everything else since my cardiologist gave me his ok after 3 months. Because I've been focussing on my legs and upper back, I now actually train with higher weights than before surgery. Incredible, and it's only been 4.5 months! Besides the gym, I've been doing more cardio training and I'am starting to overtake other runners on the track ;-)

Sounds Awesome Tirone, congratulations.

One question if you don't mind. The two months before returning to work; was that your choice, the doctor's choice, do you feel you could have gone back sooner if you wanted to to?

Im set for for BAV and Ascending Aorta Replacement in June and I want to tell myself that I can return to work, desk job, in 4- 6 weeks. I am trying to determine if that may be a little far fetched.

Thanks,
Ryan

I was wondering the same thing about going back to work. Tirone, is your job physical? I have a desk job and figured I'd be back in four weeks... particularly since I can take light rail straight to my office (only a short drive to the station). I'm a contractor and hoping not to lose my job over this.

I was back to work at a desk job in 2-3 weeks, part time. Then full time after about 4 weeks I think. My surgery was at the end of November, so I more or less took it easy through the end of the year, but I would normally do that anyway. Use this as an excuse to cut out of work early whenever you want for a good few months.

Going back to work depends mainly on the speed of your recovery and on your job. My speed of recovery was rather slow in the first weeks I guess. Further my company could only use me at work if I delivered 100% performance while im there. I was still a bit less concentrated and needed more breaks during the day. Further I lost a lot of weight and was very pale from anemia. You don't want someone like this to represent your company or deal with clients.
My boss was very generous and understanding. He offered me to take as much time off as I need and to go back to work when I'm back at 100%.

Glad to see this post ... I'm about 4 1/2 months post-AVR as well & wondered if I'm pushing myself too hard in working out & such, but your post gave me a sense of relief.

Glad to see this post ... I'm about 4 1/2 months post-AVR as well & wondered if I'm pushing myself too hard in working out & such, but your post gave me a sense of relief.

Ya ya ya! Im ready to push myself too hard! haha.....seriously, I cant wait.

Does any one have lifting restrictions? I had AVR and there is a titanium plate to connect my rib back to my chest bone so no lifting for 3 months then nothing more that 15lbs. for the next 3 months after that. That makes it hard for me to go back to work, since I constantly lift heavy objects...... I guess I will be off most of the summer.

Tirone, we expected nothing less from you. Thanks for the write up, this will sure help lots of new folks to feel a bit more comfortable going into this.

Back