39 years old..tavr vs mechanical?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cldlhd;n873224 said:
...I believe you're 53 and you say that makes you old so at 47 am I officially old? I might want to hear from Dick on this subject...

well ... it depends on what happens to you in the next 6 years, but to me "no not yet you aren't"

I worked with a bunch of 26 year olds so I've given up attempting to convince them that I'm not old ...anyway my initial point was related to valve degredation and on that point I said " aren't young younger folks" ... irrespective of what one feels about ones self metabolically we aren't

PS: and my elbow is sore from skiing as is my toe (from that football injury) ... so I'm feeling old today

I've noticed that people often think of themselves as old when they're not because, obviously, at that moment they're the oldest they've ever been. I have a buddy who recently became single (girlfriend not wife ) who was lamenting that at the ripe old age of 32 his good years were behind him. Sorry for the sidetrack.

Thanks Duffey and Pellicle for the feedback. In my case, when I was told in a regular 3 month Cardiologist visit that I needed surgery right now, I didn't have time to ask the kind of questions I normally ask. I had already decided that a tissue valve was the correct choice for me. It wasn't until after surgery that I started doing research about the life expectancy of my valve. Since I verify everything any doctor tells me, I did a fair amount of research and have not come across this fact:"younger patients calcify tissue valves faster than older folks". My valve choice was not based on the speed of calcifying, but other factors, so I never thought to search for that information.

As a side note, I will point out that when in the shock of hearing one needs OHS or needs it like "right-now", we often don't think clearly or hear everything we are told. That is why it is helpful to have someone else with you so when you visit the docs, so you can compare notes later. It is also good to verify what you think you are told. This post is an good example of the need verify what one is told. Doctors do get it wrong more often than we hope. Before surgery, my cardiologist and I have had a debate on if I had a bicuspid valve or not. All echo tests and Cath results showed conflicting information. One doc said bi, the other said tri. So, after surgery in my six week visited to the surgeon, I asked him if the valve was a bicuspid or not. He said it was definitely a tricuspid valve but two leaflets had been fused. Then to verify that, I read the pathology report to confirm what he told me. Then, being the devious kind of guy I am, when I next saw my cardiologist, as a test, I asked him about the valve. He said it was a bicuspid valve. He obviously had not read the pathology report, or talked to the surgeon. He failed that test, which is disturbing, but the real world. Docs often shoot from the hip and it is hard to tell when what they tell you is a hip shot or something they have done research about.

cldlhd;n873224 said:
So wait a minute, I believe you're 53 and you say that makes you old so at 47 am I officially old? I might want to hear from Dick on this subject...

Old at 50??.........I've got kids older than both of you LOL. I guess that really makes me old...and I hope we can all keep getting older.

dick0236;n873256 said:
Old at 50??.........I've got kids older than both of you LOL. I guess that really makes me old...and I hope we can all keep getting older.

I second that. Pell's old not me, he's 53 I'm only 47.

Thank you for your insight. I also agree with Pellicle that my cardiologist would like me to participate in a study for the benefit of humanity. I would like to remain an active human for as long as possible and will wait for at least one symptom to present. In the meantime I will remain informed and active in being self-aware. Jim

Back