365 days to go

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
Today is the 49th anniversary of my Aortic artificial valve. By coincidence, I also had my annual checkup with my Cardio today......and I'm good to go for another year. I have now lived long enough to begin having old age health issues. Altho the valve is doing great I have developed A-fib, probably chronic. While it is not fatal it can raise a stroke risk due to an erratic heart beat. Many seniors, with or without heart issues develop A-fib as they approach 80. The treatment for the disorder is blood pressure/heart rate control and an blood anti-coagulant. Since I am currently taking meds for both BP and ACT no new meds are necessary......and, more importantly, no life style changes are needed.

I am looking forward to next year when the valve turns 50. Hence my title of this thread........and 50 years is what my surgeon said it would last. Today, my Cardio said there "ain't no telling" how long it will last

whhoooo Hooo

great news there mate :)

now all you have to worry about is all the normal stuff that goes with aging ... now, what was I doing just then?

Great to hear, not about the afib but you know. Hey back when you got the valve you probably never heard of afib or imagined you would be still kicking in 2016 let alone on the internet talking to people around the world and sharing your story.

scott.eitman;n867560 said:
The good news about afib is that you are already on coumadin. Other that I am sorry to learn you have to deal with it as that cannot be much fun. .

Thanks for the well wishes. Apparently, I have been in and out of sporadic afib for years without realizing it. According to my Cardio it will have little affect on my lifestyle and as you say, I'm already taking the necessary meds (BP, HR and AC). According to the AHA, over 2,700,000 Americans have A-fib so I am in good company. That explains the popularity of the newer ACT drugs designed specifically for A-fib anti-coagulation.

I notice that you are affiliated with Mended Hearts......me too. I am an Accredited Visitor for Chapter 11 in Louisville, KY. I've noticed that I visit with 4X the number of Open Heart Bi-pass patients versus Valve patients. Must be the diet down here......clogging the pipes.

dick0236;n867575 said:
Thanks for the well wishes. Apparently, I have been in and out of sporadic afib for years without realizing it. According to my Cardio it will have little affect on my lifestyle and as you say, I'm already taking the necessary meds (BP, HR and AC). According to the AHA, over 2,700,000 Americans have A-fib so I am in good company. That explains the popularity of the newer ACT drugs designed specifically for A-fib anti-coagulation.

I notice that you are affiliated with Mended Hearts......me too. I am an Accredited Visitor for Chapter 11 in Louisville, KY. I've noticed that I visit with 4X the number of Open Heart Bi-pass patients versus Valve patients. Must be the diet down here......clogging the pipes.
All that good bbq ? Doesn't Kentucky bourbon clean the pipes?

Back