30 years - 10/25/89

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivotalrex

Today is 30 years for my St. Jude Mechanical Valve. Still ticking, not sure how many more years before it gets replaced though,(Ascending Aortic Aneurysm is over 5.0 cm, due for another CT Scan ).

Blood Thinners can still be a pain but wouldn't have gotten this far without them.

Happy Friday!

Keith

Today is 30 years for my St. Jude Mechanical Valve. Still ticking, not sure how many more years before it gets replaced though,(Ascending Aortic Aneurysm is over 5.0 cm, due for another CT Scan ).

Blood Thinners can still be a pain but wouldn't have gotten this far without them.

Happy Friday!

Keith
Congratulations, Keith! Inspiring news. That’s a mighty anniversary.

I wish you the best outcome with your aneurysm issue.

Wow! You got your valve at age 15? That is a real accomplishment. Don't be surprised if your valve lasts a long, long time. The aneurism may be the determining factor as to when the valve might need replacing.......but who knows.....cardio vascular science is moving ahead at lightning speed.

Stick around the forum, your experiences are invaluable to some of the newer, younger valvers.

Congrats to you, Keith, and this is welcome, inspiring news for many folks here. I'm just five weeks out from having an ascending aortic aneurysm gone way plus-5 zapped by UNC surgeons, so I wish you a successful outcome on that front too. Incidentally, though I still have a tissue valve (bovine now, replacing porcine), I am now on Coumadin at least for several months, so I am learning how to deal with that and grateful for all the good info posted here.

Today is 30 years for my St. Jude Mechanical Valve. Still ticking, not sure how many more years before it gets replaced though,(Ascending Aortic Aneurysm is over 5.0 cm, due for a
Keith

The valve will not need to be replaced - at least not for mechanical reasons. "wear" on that valve for that length of time is measured in the low (1-5) micron range. 1 micron = 1 millionths of a meter. If you eventually get a replacement aortic graft, the valve will be replaced at that time as they are one assembly.

Congratulations Keith! Happy Anniversary.
This is very encouraging since my 20 year old boy had it since last 2 years. I am hoping and praying that carries it on like you. Please share some tips if you could. I will pass it on to him.

Congrats to you, Keith, and this is welcome, inspiring news for many folks here. I'm just five weeks out from having an ascending aortic aneurysm gone way plus-5 zapped by UNC surgeons, so I wish you a successful outcome on that front too. Incidentally, though I still have a tissue valve (bovine now, replacing porcine), I am now on Coumadin at least for several months, so I am learning how to deal with that and grateful for all the good info posted here.
Glad to hear you got your aneurysm taken care of. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Congratulations Keith! Happy Anniversary.
This is very encouraging since my 20 year old boy had it since last 2 years. I am hoping and praying that carries it on like you. Please share some tips if you could. I will pass it on to him.

There's tons of useful info on this board. I've had my shares of ups/downs. I went 23 yrs before at home testing was available to me, that makes a big difference now. I had two T.I.A's before my INR was adjusted a bit higher. A higher INR leads to some issues at times but won't bore you with the details.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer you and your son is for him to live his life. What I mean is he's been through the hardest part, and for many of us it's a defining moment, but it doesn't have to define who he is going forward. Everyone has limitations, those of us here are just a little more aware of ours due to what we've been through and/or are going through.

I wish your son good health and the best

Congratulations on 30 years. Prost - Cheers! and L'Chaim - To life!

You won't be boring me if you share details about the types of issues you had when they raised your INR. It's a road others may have to take some day. The St. Jude is supposed to be able to handle lower INRs, I have one, and they reduced the range from 2-3 to 2-2.5 about 7 years ago.

There's tons of useful info on this board. I've had my shares of ups/downs. I went 23 yrs before at home testing was available to me, that makes a big difference now. I had two T.I.A's before my INR was adjusted a bit higher. A higher INR leads to some issues at times but won't bore you with the details.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer you and your son is for him to live his life. What I mean is he's been through the hardest part, and for many of us it's a defining moment, but it doesn't have to define who he is going forward. Everyone has limitations, those of us here are just a little more aware of ours due to what we've been through and/or are going through.

I wish your son good health and the best
Thanks much... you have a joyful and healthy life too.

Happy Friday!

Keith
Happy to read
I had completed 34 years of post AVR

Latest posts

Back