3 weeks Regi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Freddie24

Hey Regi,

Three weeks today - happy anniversary!! How are you feeling? I'm back at work full-time as of today and I feel fine. Can't wait to start weightlifting again in a few more weeks.... Hope all is well.

-Freddie24

Sounds great, Freddie. I feel like I could be back to work too, at least part time, but since I have plenty of leave time saved up and my colleagues don't mind, I'm taking a few more weeks off as well (I'm at 4 weeks post-op today). I'm hoping these next few weeks will be more like a vacation. I walked about 2 miles today and went swimming, which was great. Now that it has stopped raining, I hope to do that everyday.

Hope your recovery keeps going so well. Take care.

10 Days Post-op

10 Days Post-op

Hi Steve and Regi,
This is my first attempt at using the new forum. I had a rough day yesterday as I decided not to take any pain medication. The medication was making me feel ill. That was a mistake. My blood pressure went up, pain level went up, but I was able to become unconstipated - so it was worth it. I had the Doc put me on a different pain medication and I feel much better today, and I'm only taking one pill every four hours instead of two. I also haven't been able to sleep more than an hour and a half since I got home from the hospital - so he prescribed a sleeping pill. Last night I took one and slept 5 hours! Boy did I feel good this morning and I had quite an appetite for breakfast. My blood pressure also went down to 128 on the top side - last night it was 159. I have felt pretty good and it seems that my heart is starting to settle down. He said the left atrium was pretty stretched out so it will take some time to shrink down a little. My INR has been hanging around 2.4 and I have been taking a 3 mg tab every day of Coumadin. He said I must stay on this for three months. I still can't believe that they were able to repair my valve rather than replace it - that made my whole family estatic in the waiting room when the surgeon told them the news. I had it checked yesterday and the surgeon said he could hear no leaking at all. In two months I'll have an echo done to check the work.
Glad to see you fellas are back to work and ready to work out. My doc told my not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 10 weeks, so thats what I'm gonna do. I was told it takes three months for the breast bone to heal fully. I will begin work on July 21st as I have to play and sing for a wedding reception in Cody, Wyoming. Well I'm jabbering so I'll close. Glad to see you all are doing so well.

Andy in Montana

Thanks Andy,

It's great to hear you got some sleep. Good rest is essential to a good and quick recovery. I also had some problems sleeping at night, but in the morning after my wife and kids left, I take advantage and get in some good hours of rest.

Just deal with each bump in the road with help from doctors, family, friends, and your heart buddies here, and you'll get over each of them smoothly. Each of us is different so we react to meds and other issues accordingly. The doctors give general care but then must adjust to our needs as they arise, so its very important not to keep any problem to yourself but to communicate with your doctors and the rest of us to make adjustments every step of the way.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

To Andy in Montana - re: Pain Med

To Andy in Montana - re: Pain Med

Andy,

You did the right thing by changing your pain medication. Many of the "heavy duty" pain medications can make you dizzy or nauseous. If you can get by on less strong medications, you will most likely feel better! I specifically asked my surgeon for a medication that had less severe side effects and was able to get by on only two a day following my bypass surgery.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back