3 weeks post op and have some sternal movement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOS518

Hi everyone. Things are going pretty well so far. I've been cleared for cardiac rehab start next week. I've have some tachycardia episodes but nothing to bad incision looks good and no swelling. So nice to not be short of breath when walking orc,imbing stairs. Only issue is popping sensation and sternal movement. I saw cardiologist who sent me for a chest s
Xray which showed no acute sternal instability but told to see surgeon asap. Saw surgeon today and he seemed not to worried said there is some movement but its minimal and put me on a very strict no lifting,pulling pushing, reaching or carrying anything with my right arm for 3 weeks so things can mend and no be disrupted. I was following post op recovery instructions but apparently I was just doing a tad to much and it was breaking what had started to mend I'm going to try as hard I c an to not do anything as I'm right handed but I want to heal fast so I can carry my daughter again. Long story short has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome? Did it heal on its own or did you need another surgery to tighten the breasstbnone.

You'll be fine.....honest.
Your only 3 weeks post-op, listen to your surgeon.
I didn't worry about the "popping or cracking" sound, was told it was normal during the healing process during a follow up appointment.
In fact, I missed it when I didn't hear it.

My experience was a bit different. When they closed my sternum, the wires were so tight that I never felt or heard any evidence of sternal movement. In that respect, I had a textbook, effortless recovery. Now, in those other areas. . .

Like epstns I didn't have much movement either. However, take to heart what the surgeon says. Don't lift, pull, push or in anyway put a strain on your sternum. That also includes lifting a gallon of milk (I found that out the hard way). Keep up the good recovery, all will be well. :)

I'm four weeks post op, my sternum seems to be healing well, no feelings of movement or of a popping sounds. Good luck, I am sure your surgeon would be more agressive if there was a reason to be concerned. My question is what does it mean when people say you'll know if you overdue it lifting, pulling, etc.. Is it just that you are so sore or other symptoms. I feel good mostly, but I notice that when I do stuff out of the ordinary, I am so tired. I went to the store with my husband and walked around but was exhausted after. Is that normal for 4 weeks??

Take recovery seriously. You won't like the alternatives to a smooth recovery. It may be hard but really, take it easy with lifting and getting up.

I also find that I need to do alittle here and there if I try to do to much like going to multiple stores or walking for 30 minutes with no breaks or standing a lot I get very tired and then end up sitting in the recliner for the rest of the day. When you lift to much or push pull reach more then you should I find you are sorer then normal kinda feels like what a good workout feels like and sometimes there is an increase in actual pain. In my case ill feel the sternum move slightly if I overextend my right arm or twist my body a certain way. I'm glad that no one else had to experience this and wil take what the surgeon said to heart as I did trust him with my life 3 weeks ago and he got me to the otherside.

I think that taking it easier, as others have said here, is so much better than trying to push it....at least for the first 3 months. I also think it's normal to be tired up to six months out!!!!

I was super super careful, and I still had a few popping sounds in my sternum a couple times during my early recovery..... and everything was fine. At 6 weeks out, I gently wiped the counter-tops down....and I mean gently...but even after this very light work I was not only tired but very very sore.

It just takes time - Sounds like you're doing really well AOS518 - I trusted my surgeon also and he did not steer me wrong!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back