3 or 5 channel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

I got the 5 channel cuvettes today to compare with the new lot of 3 channel cuvettes.
So, I tested and found cuvette 3- inr 2.5,then the
5 channel- 2.0 inr.
Very interesting. Now I am debating whether to stay with the 5 or continue with the 3.
At 2.0 I would take more coumadin, but at 2.5 I would not. So, do the 5 channel seem to give lower results consistantly than the 3 channel?
If I am used to the results of the 5 then how to read the 3? Is it more accurate or would it be better for the home tester like me to have the 5 channel which gives 3 tests and averages them rather than 1 test like the coagucheck?
I am going to ask my cardiologist his opinion on this. Anyone else care to give me their opinion on this matter? I would appreciate it!
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
Gail

My Protime hometester is being refurbished and updated to the 3-channel program. QAS gave me a call last week and offered it to me for a mere $100.00 plus a new warrantee for another year. If I wait until the warrantee runs out the end of January than the price would be $350.00. I was happy with the 5-channel but my husband thought it would be a good idea. I just hope that this won't screw up my INR readings because my doctor will be totally confused.
I am just going to finish up with the 5-channel cuvettes (the updated unit will recognize both I am told) and than switch to the 3-channel. Maybe I won't have to take as much Coumadin anymore, who knows! Wouldn't that be nice! Still taking 20 mg a day. Latest INR reading was 4.5, but was told to stay on the same dosage.
I am 16 months post-op and feeling great!

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Latest posts

Back