3 Months

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

7/27/06: It has been three months since my AVR. I have made some small strides forward since my ?confession? a few weeks ago. I am allowed to run at a 13:40 + pace in rehab without being expelled or stopped from exercising. My resting heart rate is returning to near normal levels although I still cannot run in the 130-140 range regardless of how slowly I go and reach the low 150?s in less than 60 seconds into my warm-up. Wednesday I ran my 1st 5 miler very slowly. My ego still believes that I can run much faster than I actually can so I started much too fast; it was an out and back course so this made for a long run home but I did it! This was not a pleasant run so I won?t try it again for a while. It did however provide a much needed mental boost. I have been doing some EZ fartlek on the treadmill and indoor track; air conditioned runs! Indoor running is new for me and is a nice break from the heat so I will continue indoors when time permits. Today I celebrated 3 months with an 8:00 indoor mile on the treadmill. My HR never exceeded 170 but that was all I could manage other than a warm-up and cool-down.

I am getting incorrect, very low readings on a newly purchased HR monitor. Does anyone have this problem with their monitors? Since it is new I don?t think it is the battery and it is definitely not the lack of moisture required for contact.

On the mend,
Philip

Phillip,

Congrats on your progress. The 8-minute indoor mile must have been a blast compared to the slower outdoor stuff!

I'm struggling with the elevated heart rate, too. I'm just 6 weeks post-op, so I'm not as far along as you. Has your surgeon or cardiologist suggested a maximum heart rate that you should not exceed? My surgeon said 150 for my St. Jude valve because "it does not operate efficiently at high heart rates". That was new to me and I did not expect it. I'll be asking my cardiologist about it tomorrow, but I wanted to ask what you may have been told about your valve.

Good luck on your continued progress!!

jimmy

Jimmy,
I have been told by the cardiologist that it is OK for me to train up to 159 BPM and to 170 for brief periods. He did point out that even though I was unlikely to have a cardiac event that I was assuming some risk in training at this level. In rehab they keep me under 159 but will slow me down or stop me if I have frequent PVCs. Most of my runs are 2 milers with the pace altered to keep my HR under 160.

Thanks for the info Phillip. My cardiologist told me today that I could use 160 as an upper limit. He didn't hesitate at all. I specifically asked about any issues with the valve and its "efficiency" at higher heart rates and he said that he did not feel that would be an issue at 160.

I am relieved!

My best to you in your recovery!

jimmy

Philip,

I'm thinking that your quick elevated HR is your body telling you something (not sure what exactly). Healing? Fitness? Valve efficiency (hope not)?

Your approach seems to be sensible. Not pushing distance too far. Avoiding distance and speed together. Giving you brain a treat now and then - good for the motivation. Just be patient.

I had some low HR readings when I was having PVC's. The monitor was missing the early beat and basically showing half of the actual rate. :eek: Check with your cardio. In my case, after some testing, I was told not to worry about it as long as I felt fine.

Congratulations to you and Jimmy. Keep us "posted" :).

At times my heart rate monitor jumps all over the place anywhere from 170 to 30 mid way through my workout. I usually try to adjust the strap with my thumb or something. It usually settles back to the correct reading. I usually jog on the treadmill at the gym because of the heat. My heart rate monitor watch usually logs onto the treadmill as well so I have 2 readings, one on the watch and one on the treadmill. Usually one is correct.

I've been jogging in the 130-147 bpm range and it seems to the perfect level for me averaging about 4.5 miles an hour. I have crept out of range several times nearing the 160-165 range but it still feels comfortable and really gets my adrenaline pumping. I think the card who did the stress test said my target heart rate shouldbe 156. ? I've never heard my card say that the mechanical valve doesn't operate efficeintly at higher heart rates. Do you think it's wise to exceed your target heart rate and stay at that level for a long time? What damage could be done?

Mike,

I don't know the answers to your questions about exceeding your target heart rate or what the risks might be. :confused: If it is truly a "target" for training rather than an upper limit, then it might not be too bad to exceed it during SOME of your training. I'm just not sure what your cardiologist meant by "target". You might want to contact his/her office to get a clarifcation on "target" and ask for a specific "upper limit".

Maybe someone else will chime in with some suggestions.

My Maximum Heart Rate is around 174. I had no fear of taking my H.R. all the way to the maximum (or at least close) during races and during "speed work" PRIOR to my aneurism and valve replacement. Now that I have a mechanical valve and a Dacron aorta sewn in place I tend to be very cautious. I will probably stay under 160 for quite a while as I gain confidence in the new hardware. For me 160 will be either 92% or 86% of my MHR, depending on whether I use the Basic method or the Karvonen method. That should be plenty aggressive.... at least for now. :)

jimmy

Back