3 decades ticking away!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Seems alike a while. I turn 48 in a couple days. Celebrated my 18th birthday by moving out of the ICU. That was exciting.

30 years ago today I received my first St. Jude valve. My second open heart was 11 years ago back in October when I got my shiny new aorta.

Time flies when your having fun!

ETA: My wife and kids made a tray of heart shaped sugar cookies for me. That was nice. 😁

Last edited:
I would like to ask if someone changes the aortic valve and after years an aneurysm is created in the ascending aorta then they change the valve again or leave it the same if it works well?

I would like to ask if someone changes the aortic valve and after years an aneurysm is created in the ascending aorta then they change the valve again or leave it the same if it works well?

I replaced the valve with a one piece valve/graft conduit from St Jude. Or rather the surgeon did. Partly because I wasn’t 17 anymore and the original valve was a bit undersized. Increased 2mm. But they could have stitched just the graft and left the original mechanical valve in place.

But they could have stitched just the graft and left the original mechanical valve in place.
my surgeon said that a valve with a preattached graft saved a lot of time in surgery. So even though nobody was going to leave a 20 year old homograft in place, it was that which drove valve choice (ATS had a pre-attached graft)

:)

Leave the valve alone - it will last far past 100 years of service.
unless ya clag it up with failure to comply with AC Therapy
15796274211_bbfed0e0c1_o.jpg

... although tPA is making inroads there too ;-)

[QUOTE="Superman, post: 900870, member: 6979]

30 years ago today I received my first St. Jude valve.

Congratulations Superman, it is the sugar cookies that make everything else work.;)
[/QUOTE]
Congratulations , far out. Cheered me up no end. So great! Cheers from us Frenchies !

Latest posts

Back