2nd OHS at 67 April 26/2021

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Post surgery

I Was released from Hospital Sunday May 2nd, on the 6th day post op.
Yesterday, day 7, was a bit of a bummer day, hiccup day of sorts, a long day that just felt off some.
So today day 8, Am doing mostly fine, wish the weather was warmer/nicer for outdoor walks, it is very cool and overcast.
Have dropped almost 20 pds of fluid since my departure to hospital and feel, there is still another 10 pds to go in next week or two.
i have little appetite, lots of fluid swishing in abdomen, so reduced food intake, which is good for Covid flab, constantly sipping water mostly, no désire for coffee or other, which is odd, as am normally a coffee addict.
I will be doing an emergency visit to dentist this afternoon, some discomfort foreign material may be underneath a crown. Pro Amox antibiotic if dentist deems necessary, i have no contra meds to anti biotic s, and am looking forward to fixing that dental issue.
There were 37 staples to close the incision and they are scheduled to be removed May 6th.
4 drain tubes which are closing, only 1 remains oozing slightly, only a 4x4 inch gauze remains, incision
There has been no need for pain meds since day 4 or so, so in some ways easier this 2nd ohs that the 1st.
Sleep remains in 1-3 hour segments, not contiguous yet, but also not a major discomfort.
Am surprised i can actually sleep partly on my sides, which is nice alternative in resting spine.
Cardiologist is scheduled for May13th, for a 1st review.
Pfizer vaccine #2 is scheduled for May 15th
MRI and GP in June to address a cyst on the pancreas (accidental discovery of the Dec CT scan)

life is good

Post surgery

I Was released from Hospital Sunday May 2nd, on the 6th day post op.
Yesterday, day 7, was a bit of a bummer day, hiccup day of sorts, a long day that just felt off some.
So today day 8, Am doing mostly fine, wish the weather was warmer/nicer for outdoor walks, it is very cool and overcast.
Have dropped almost 20 pds of fluid since my departure to hospital and feel, there is still another 10 pds to go in next week or two.
i have little appetite, lots of fluid swishing in abdomen, so reduced food intake, which is good for Covid flab, constantly sipping water mostly, no désire for coffee or other, which is odd, as am normally a coffee addict.
I will be doing an emergency visit to dentist this afternoon, some discomfort foreign material may be underneath a crown. Pro Amox antibiotic if dentist deems necessary, i have no contra meds to anti biotic s, and am looking forward to fixing that dental issue.
There were 37 staples to close the incision and they are scheduled to be removed May 6th.
4 drain tubes which are closing, only 1 remains oozing slightly, only a 4x4 inch gauze remains, incision
There has been no need for pain meds since day 4 or so, so in some ways easier this 2nd ohs that the 1st.
Sleep remains in 1-3 hour segments, not contiguous yet, but also not a major discomfort.
Am surprised i can actually sleep partly on my sides, which is nice alternative in resting spine.
Cardiologist is scheduled for May13th, for a 1st review.
Pfizer vaccine #2 is scheduled for May 15th
MRI and GP in June to address a cyst on the pancreas (accidental discovery of the Dec CT scan)

life is good
Great to hear you are doing so well. Every day will make a difference.

Have hit a major speed bump, darn

It turns out that the emergency dentist visit yesterday, revealed a crushed root under the crown of a major molar. The root has splintered some, which is providing the discomfort. A total extraction will be the solution.

Darn, i must have done a serious chomp down and as i have no recollection, it may have been while intubbed or under anaesthetic.

As there is a serious connection between teeth and heart, it presents a fairly serious dilemma. Surgeon prefers delay if possible, but understands that infection is a bad trade for delaying.

in the meantime i have been prescribed a Penicillin protocol by dentist, while we are working on a plan

i truly did not see this curve ball coming.

It turns out that the emergency dentist visit yesterday, revealed a crushed root under the crown of a major molar. The root has splintered some, which is providing the discomfort. A total extraction will be the solution.

Darn, i must have done a serious chomp down and as i have no recollection, it may have been while intubbed or under anaesthetic.

As there is a serious connection between teeth and heart, it presents a fairly serious dilemma. Surgeon prefers delay if possible, but understands that infection is a bad trade for delaying.

in the meantime i have been prescribed a Penicillin protocol by dentist, while we are working on a plan

Sorry to hear this, what a bugger! Hope you get through it ok.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you're doing so well except for the dental issue. Hoping you get through this bump in the road just fine and I'm sure you will. Similar for me in that things seemed to going amazing then bump in the road with concern over possible prostate infection- concern of course is that it could lead to endocarditis, - appears to be a non issue after meeting with the urologist. Our paths to recovery are not a straight line, but you are through the most challenging part and will get through this dental issue in one piece.
Please keep us posted and you'll be in my thoughts.

The root has splintered some, which is providing the discomfort. A total extraction will be the solution.
oouuwww

my wisdom snapped off one of the roots on extraction ...

that sounds prudent risk assessment ... out of interest are you intending a mech or a bio prosthesis?

I understood mech was less likely to sustain endo (and was the usual go to for any infection situation which "can't wait")

Best Wishes

that sounds prudent risk assessment ... out of interest are you intending a mech or a bio prosthesis?

so

Best Wishes

Thanks Pellicle, a bio inspira Resilia was installed Apr26th.
For the fractured molar root i am on Penicillin (and conditions seem unchanged), with a dental review May 17th, a wait see at this time.
I have read everything i could find on this forum concerning dental and AVR, Pro Amox 2MG is a constant protocol and an increased risk of heart attack or stroke is all ive retained.

Careful of the attachment if squeamish

An 8 day old zipper, it is not pretty but it is functional.
This afternoon i am scheduled for the staple removals, at 10 days post Op.
Pluck, pluck and repeat for 37.
22676274-E939-476E-AF9A-68DB4D737C14.jpeg
I actually developed a hernia a few months post op, on the drain holes from 11 years ago.
It is Noticeable that the new drains were more spaced out now, around the hernia.

The scar will

Careful of the attachment if squeamish

This afternoon i am scheduled for the staple removals, at 10 days post Op.
Pluck, pluck and repeat for 37.
View attachment 887801I actually developed a hernia a few months post op, on the drain holes from 11 years ago.
It is Noticeable that the new drains were more spaced out now, around the hernia.

The scar will
I'm jealous! With that battle scar you will be able to tell some great stories in your old age and pull one upmanship on anyone else the the "show me your battle scar" game. Wear it proudly!

For the fractured molar root i am on Penicillin (and conditions seem unchanged), with a dental review May 17th, a wait see at this time.
I have read everything i could find on this forum concerning dental and AVR, Pro Amox 2MG is a constant protocol

not quite sure what 2MG means, but its common to have 2000mg (or simply 2g) here as prophylaxis before invasive dental stuff.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for the 17th

that's very interesting, perhaps I've not been properly understanding, but it seems you've had the OHS and the Tooth is "next" ... I'd thought it was a cause of surgery delay.

I must say the swelling under the skin looks interesting ... I had nothing quite so "profound" after any of my surgeries. Is this a swollen sternum?

that's very interesting, perhaps I've not been properly understanding, but it seems you've had the OHS and the Tooth is "next" ... I'd thought it was a cause of surgery delay.

I must say the swelling under the skin looks interesting ... I had nothing quite so "profound" after any of my surgeries. Is this a swollen sternum?

Yes, i likely cracked the root while under anesthetic for my OHS. So yes a dental extract is being delayed a while the heart heals some, because of the risk of infection, What i am unsure of is how long we can safely maintain the Penicillin protocol moving forward. It is working so far, with no evidence of additional infection. But a 3-6 month wait on extraction and maintaining Penecillin for all that time, seems unlikely, so some frustration here.

for the zipper, the surgeon left untouched a hernia which developed post 2010 surgery. The 4 new drains were situated around that hernia. When I cough or sneeze, the hernia can pop out a couple of inches or so.

Yes, i likely cracked the root while under anesthetic for my OHS. So yes a dental extract is being delayed a while the heart heals some, because of the risk of infection, What i am unsure of is how long we can safely maintain the Penicillin protocol moving forward. It is working so far, with no evidence of additional infection. But a 3-6 month wait on extraction and maintaining Penecillin for all that time, seems unlikely, so some frustration here.

for the zipper, the surgeon left untouched a hernia which developed post 2010 surgery. The 4 new drains were situated around that hernia. When I cough or sneeze, the hernia can pop out a couple of inches or so.

When will they let you get the hernia fixed? It may get worse due to your OHS. I had colon surgery and got a hernia as a result a few years later. It was fixed. A few years after my AVR a new one appeared. When they opened me up to fix it, they found several and the mesh they put in was "the size of a dinner plate." My hernia surgeon told me hernias can come with any surgery in that area.

Interesting. Sorry to hear. I have a very similar issue. Turns out my #2 molar which had root canal (and crown) almost 20 years ago, has decided to get infected way down at the base of one of the roots. Oral surgeon is going to extract next week. Will be on Amoxicillan 500mg 3x per day until 1 hour before procedure and then 2,000 MG. He also wants me to get the INR down to 2.0 by Tuesday. Was at 3.5 two days ago.
My thought is it's better to get the infection out sooner than later. The antibiotics can't get to the deep root. What is the logic behind waiting? How long will you wait?

Interesting. Sorry to hear. I have a very similar issue.
My thought is it's better to get the infection out sooner than later. The antibiotics can't get to the deep root. What is the logic behind waiting? How long will you wait?

Yes, I agree on a preference for an extract sooner than later. I saw the dentist on day 8 post surgery and may have shocked him some.

am hoping for a timetable when I see the dentist Tuesday next.
Have been on Penicillin for 10 days already and currently continuing. Although my molar root is crushed and splintered, I don’t seem to have an infection (yet).
Both the surgeon and cardiologist agree to do what needs doing.
If we can prevent an infection, it just seems a better scenario to extract and be done with, as per my thinking.
Yes the protocol is 4x500 mg of pro Amox, 1 hour before the extract, which is the same dose as for a dental cleaning. Also stop my anti clotting med (Lixiana), for 48 hours before the procedure.

Am truly hoping to move forward on this dental issue, as you are.

When will they let you get the hernia fixed? It may get worse due to your OHS. I had colon surgery and got a hernia as a result a few years later. It was fixed. A few years after my AVR a new one appeared. When they opened me up to fix it, they found several and the mesh they put in was "the size of a dinner plate." My hernia surgeon told me hernias can come with any surgery in that area.

It is a little strange that they worked drain holes around the hernia, which is pretty much on my solar plexus, but did not address the hernia itself.

in June, there will be an evaluation done on a Pancreatic cyst and a potential for further surgery. it may be reevaluated at that time.

Latest posts

Back